I am Concerned that my Lady Friend Enjoys Rock Concerts So Much

Does she roll down her stockings and dance the Charleston too?

The rest of the OP seemed bizarre enough (going to rock concerts is a sign of debauchery? really?) but this also stuck out. Like…was this rape or not? It all seems so vague and bizarre. Are you worried that she’s going to get “overcome” and have sex with some random guy and use the “I was raped” excuse? Are you saying she wasn’t really raped? Is she admitting that she wasn’t?

She might get a touch of the vapors. Tell her to bring along some smelling salts.

I second that.

Also, I met HelloNinja at a concert. That must make us both whores? Or people who love live music?

Whores.

Well, I am a smooth-talking Lothario…

And she was just helpless prey! :smiley:

Loose prey.

The title of the thread, especially, does remind me of something you’d see in The Onion.

What bands is she following, anyway? Is Poison touring? I’m trying to think of any rock band that’s still got a reputation for anything but merch sales and reality TV appearances.

This sounds like her hobby. If you are feeling left out or can’t understand why she’d be so passionate about it, watch I Love You, Man and switch around the genders.

Is that the Junglebunny music I heard about?

For a first thread/post it is indeed a Bold Move…

We got attempted rape, a re-kindled high school romance, a possesive boyfriend and American Idol.

I for one applaud the moxie of throwing for the end zone (Hail Mary) on your first play in the league!!!

Look, we can tell you over and over again that these concerts are pretty tame (they are) and that they most certainly aren’t debauchery (they aren’t). But, end of the day, it comes down to trust.

I know you view your GF as virtuous and true, and that’s part of it; however, you also have to trust her to make decisions about her own life. She’s been to more of these concerts than you have, and therefore has a better idea of the atmosphere than you do. You have to be able to respect her ability to assess her own situation, and you have to trust her not to put herself in a situation that’s going to cause her danger.

If she’s acted in any other ways that you consider erratic (recently–who you are at 18 is most certainly not who you are at 50)–and has therefore demonstrated that she hasn’t earned that trust, then there are deeper problems with her and the relationship than her going to the concerts. If she has demonstrated good judgment in all other areas, then she probably is here, and you should relax.

That being said, those two artists are a step above a Hannah Montana concert attended by parents with pre-teen daughters in tow in terms of how dangerous and sordid their concerts are. I’ve been to concerts by bands with much rowdier reputations than this–as a singly-attending, reasonably attractive college co-ed–with no problem. Mainstream artist concerts are mainstream, and are therefore very safe.

You lost me at “unladylike.”

This is all the fault of the cubists. Cubists and flapper girls.

Trust issues aside, she goes to 25 Daughtry concerts a year…staying in hotels and such?

This woman strikes me as a loser. What’s next New Kids on the Block?

Find a 52 year old who acts like she’s older than 18, would be my advice.

Perhaps because in a relationship most people like to spend their leisure time together?

Back when mrAru was in the Navy, I had to tolerate4 him being away much of the time. We are both very happy that he no longer travels and we actually get to spend time together [unlike a lot of married couples that leave the military and discover they actually dont seem to actually like each other and divorce…]

I’m 52 and I’m going to a heavy metal rock show this Saturday. I can guarantee I will not find any loose women my age. Or any age that I would be interested in. I am looking forward to seeing Saliva and for the 3rd time in the past couple of years, Chevelle.

I think she’s heading to the wrong concerts.

Ain’t no party like a P-Funk party 'cause a P-Funk party don’t stop.

I vote we pool our money to buy Edwardian Prude’s girlfriend a few CDs from the Genitorturers.

Point taken. However, many of the people I was talking about are married couples that originally met at concerts. One couple in particular spent their entire summer following The Stones around, another pair traveled to Hawaii, Australia and Japan to see The Who.