I don't quite get today's "Questionable Content" strip

I’d never heard of this strip until today… now I’ve wasted a few hours reading through the old strips. This one is a gem: Questionable Content

#165 Entitled “Hi Mom”

Well…except for that one time.

I know have to update my previous post to say; “I’ve wasted a few days reading every strip.” It’s an awesome comic. I really enjoyed seeing how the artwork got better and better; to the point where I’d now have to enter some of the characters into a “hottest comic chicks” contest. :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard.

If you haven’t done the same thing with Something Positive, you’d better check your day-planner before you start. That’s gonna be a project, too.

It is an awesome comic. My daughter is in grad school, and claims to personally know every member of the cast.

I guess I’ll read that tonight. Oh boy, I have 3 years of comics to read. :frowning:

Actually Something Positive started in 2001. And it’s run pretty regularly so you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

Does she mean as “types” or does she actually know the people the characters are based on. (I assume you mean Something Positive, but I may be wrong)

She could know the actual people. Milholland has said that several of the characters were based on his friends and family.

What Little Nemo said.

PROTIP: Milholland puts the comic on hiatus near the end of the year, and even labels the last strip of the year as such. If you want to keep it manageable, just take a break (at least) every time you come across a comic that ends with “End of Year X

That will be the end of 2002 (since the comic opens in December of 2001). Like this.

Wait, if that’s Something Positive, then what the fuck was I reading? :smack:
Oh, Super Stupor. It wasn’t that good. How the hell did I accidentally read the wrong comic though?

Randy Milholland writes and draws both of them, and they’re usually posted on the SP website. He actually has about 4 or 5 different comics he does, but SP is the major one. The others are Super Stupor, SomethingPositive37 (a comic featuring the Something Positive main characters grandfather and relatives circa 1937), Midnight Macabre (about a guy who revives his favorite childhood Spooky Louie show (which features the father of one of the S*P characters, circa 1980), New Gold Dreams (a comic about a fantasy/RPG world) and an occasional one-panel called Rhymes With Witch.

He’s definitely the most reliable updating the original Something Positive, though. The rest of them are pretty much side-projects and can range from semi-reliable updating to virtual hiatus (New Gold Dreams, f’rex, hasn’t been updated at all in a couple of years that I know of).

He has several. All worth a read (well, except maybe New Gold Dreams, which consists of part of a setup for an adventure comic, but which he abandoned before it got anywhere).

Super Stupor is pretty much just a bunch of one-offs about a city with a crapload of super heroes and super villains. No actual story arc to speak of, but characters who appear repeatedly do retain whatever experiences they have.

“Rhymes with Witch” is all one-offs, but includes a recurring theme comic called “Life With Rippy,” featuring an anthropomorphic razor blade who lives with the cartoonist.

There’s also a black-and-white comic called “Something Positive 1937” (or some year such as that) that gives some backstory about Davan McIntyre’s father and the family he came from.

Anyway, just start here, and just keep hitting “next comic.” You’ll stay on track.

August, 2005.

I really don’t think it’s coming back.

Actually there is sort of a story arc but it’s hard to see in the online comics. Milholland has published two Super Stupor comic books (and is preparing a third issue). These are longer stories that connect together some of the one-pagers that are online.

Which is a shame. I liked it better than Super Stupor. The little lizard first mate has the potential to steal the strip.

Something Positive and Questionable Content are two of my top 5 webcomics that I must read daily. Queen of Wands was another, and I was sad to see it end (although I like that Kestrel crossed over and is now a character in S*P).

Sorry. QC, and “as types”.

Okay…who is that in today’s strip? Is that Sven? Because if so, that is some seriously un-Sven-like behavior…

Looks like Sven to me.

Maybe the start of a new story-line for Sven - he finally gets sick playing the field so much?