I feel like an alien sometimes.

The way you’re feeling isn’t uncommon; I had many of the same feelings and opinions that you do at your age. The way I see it, you have a few ways to approach it, and then I’ll tell you how I approached it.

It seems to me that for most people, at some point from their late teens through their mid 20s have to answer some major self-defining questions. Who am I? Who do I want to be? What am I going to do with the rest of my life? This is a time when you start to see how alike or unlike your peers you are. Do these similarities and differences make you feel included or different? And does that result something that you like or something you don’t. And then you’re stuck either deciding that you want to be more like others, and finding ways to conform, or you find you want to be more of an individual and finding ways to be different. Most people end up picking some of both, basically deciding that the things that are important to them should be what they are, and simplify the less important things by conforming.

From my own experience, I went through this at just about the age you are now, I’d gone straight into college out of high school and on to grad school, so a lot of those sorts of questions didn’t really start to become important until I started to get more and more in the “real world”. For me, like you, I was distressed at how different I felt from pretty much everyone else, but I was also unwilling to conform, if anything, I wanted to differentiate myself further because the parts of me that were like everyone else weren’t working out well. In the end, I found that I just needed to embrace that difference, not in dispair, but more like adding color and spice to life.

There’s certainly parts that make things difficult as a result, particularly uncommon political and religious views, taste in music, movies, and other arts that are far outside of the mainstream. But in a change of perspective, it makes life that much more interesting and fulfilling for me.

Also like you, I’ve always felt that people are too busy. Why work 50 or more hours a week? It seems like a waste of time to work so much and not doing the things they love. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it’s important to be busy, it’s just important to have what I’m doing be something I care about. If I’m spinning my wheels on something I’m uninterested in, it’s a bad kind of busy, but if I’m working on a passion project, it’s a good kind of busy. Yes, for a lot of people, they’re doing jobs that don’t enjoy for money to buy random crap, but for some people, their jobs are truly fulfilling.

And, as such, speaking for myself, as part of that, I work a condensed schedule less than 40 hours precisely because I am really only interested in having enough money for all the things I need and some of the things I want. After that, the time I’d spend at my job isn’t worth the extra money I’d get paid. I get weird looks when I explain that to coworkers and such, especially since most in my field are very ambitious types. But then I get into talking about what I do with the extra time I’m afforded, and the response is always “I wish I had time for that”. So, yeah, I still end up being pretty busy, but a majority of what I’m busy doing is stuff I really want to do. And I’ll say, I think I’m now as or more fulfilled than many of my peers.

But the thing is, that’s not something that just materialized, it took effort. I can get by on fewer hours at work because I’m well educated and good at what I do, so I still make good money working few hours. When I finished college, I had the choice of conforming and going for the type of job making a lot more money and working all the time, or focusing on other things that are more important to me, and I chose the latter. But there’s sacrifice and trade-off for these things. Hell, I’d love to win or inherit millions so I wouldn’t have to work at all, but that’s hardly a way to live my life hoping for that. But my point is, I embraced that difference, it seems weird to most people, but I’m far happier for it, certainly far happier than I would be working 60 hours a week, even bringing home two or three times as much money as I am now.

Come back to this thread when you are thirty, you will think differently. Your brain will be more developed. That is just human neurobiology.

These are a good set of interests. Many people share them (especially cats, post a cat photo here and you’ll be in like Flynn) and love to share. They’re also a pretty good platform for meeting like-minded people.

Welcome aboard. Where was your last trip to?

Are you autistic? Your OP reads at about a 4.4 on the Chris-Chan scale

What’s that on the Charlie Chan scale?

Excellent post, jsgoddess.

Yeah, OP: your feelings aren’t as uncommon as you think. I could pretty easily put together an extensive playlist of songs that express the same kinds of things you’ve expressed here.

I feel like a beer. What time is it?

I feel like an alien too. It used to be an overwhelming, depressing feeling, but now that I feel more comfortable owning up to the feeling (rather than beating myself up for trying to be a special snowflake), I feel so much better about myself. And I try to have fun about it.

When I’m in a group of people and they’re talking about stuff I don’t understand/relate to/like, instead of detaching, I engage. I ask questions. Part of me asks to learn more, and part of me asks just so that I don’t feel left out of the conversation. Because as quiet and introverted as I am, I don’t always prefer to be on the margins.

I also try not to judge something without giving it a try. If it seems like everyone’s into something, be it a television show, a new restaurant, or electronic gadget, I have a choice. I could assume it’s stupid and dumb, since everyone likes it. Or I can try it out myself. If I don’t like it, then no harm no foul. But at least no one can accuse me of being a judgmental snob. (And I might just like it!)

When I interact with people, I let them know straight-up that I’m a little off the wall. I do so with lots of humor, but I’m honest. Like, I’m not ashamed to let people know that hey, I’m one of those low-brow people the’re bashing who like to eat pizza every day for dinner and argues on message boards. Or don’t even think about asking me about curtains, soap operas, and football, because you KNOW I don’t know nothing about these things LOL!!

It’s after-noon somewhere. :smiley:

I don’t recall asking OP for an explanation on achieving his 25 hours for decent money dream. I simply commented on the naivete.

Yep. I find that when I am the odd one, seeing it and acknowledging it and making fun of it helps me humanize myself and others. We’re all weird (some of us more than others!) and are all out of step about something. Instead of thinking “I’m different, so I must be right!” or “I’m different, so I must be wrong!” I think “I’m different, so I’m different.”

I find that the way I present or approach the difference tends to determine how others react to it.

I shouldn’t even have mentioned my age. :smack: You all are acting like 24 is the exact same as being 13 or something.

I really am different though. I’m not just some hipster saying it to sound cool, I really am a highly strange person.

Or maybe I’m a highly normal person, I dunno?

What makes you strange? What you describe so far sounds more like depression, angst, or ennui than strangeness, but maybe you haven’t gotten at the kernel of strangeness!

Why not stop caring about what you are compared to others and just do what makes you happy? Why are you letting your life be defined by other people?

Compared to what?

Two things, and they are going to sound like glib bumper stickers, but I find they really do make a difference:

Focus outward, not inward.

Don’t waste your time comparing yourself to others, let them compare themselves to you instead.

I don’t think people are so much acting like 24 is the exact same as 13 but rather what you’ve revealed about yourself makes you sound more like a 13 year old than a 24 year old. There’s an air of naivete/simpleness around the way you’re going about doing whatever it is you’re doing.

The fact that you can casually dismiss 75-95% of the population as a monolith of banality and hostility shows that you either have a very limited exposure to the world or a very simple perception of a complex world.

Also, you don’t really articulate yourself well also hints at your immaturity. I still don’t really know what you’re trying to say. I don’t know if you’re trying to voice an opinion, make a statement, ask for advice, or just posting a mundane and pointless thought.

Lastly… even if you are in the top 5 percentile of nonbanality (whatever that may be), it hardly makes you an alien. The American Jewish population is only 2.5%. The Chinese American population is only 1.2%.

I’m not really depressed at all actually. I’ve always felt like I am unlike others, even as a small child. It could be because I have Asperger syndrome but I feel like it’s deeper than that because I don’t even relate that well to most people with Aspergers.

Since you’ve been 13 and 24, you can tell us if you feel you changed a lot. You obviously think there’s a huge difference. Why would you assume you won’t change a lot between 24 and 30 or 24 and 40?

Pretty much everything you’ve posted has seemed very normal.