I have a cold sore; do I have to throw away my lip balm?

Both chicken pox and “cold sores” are caused by a herpes virus. Herpes zoster causes chicken pox and herpes simplex cause cold sores. If you are infected with herpes simplex I, the virus resides in your ganglia and your body cannot attack them in that site, but keeps them contained. Upon stress, such as the sun, cold, excess exercise, a forthcoming exam, etc., the virus breaks loose along the pathway of the facial nerve, usually to the lips but it can be elsewhere on your face.

I’ve found that those topical balms are useless. I’ve had them since a child. I discovered that hydrocortisone (found OTC in 1% solutions) is very effective. I then read that ether is effective, and ether in solution can be found in Curasore. A tube is very cheap, even cheaper than hydrocortisone. As others noted, acyclovir (Zovirax) is also effective, but in the USA, it requires a prescription and is very expensive in the USA. I’ve found Curasore works just as well.

I recently volunteered for a clinical trial concerning cold sores. Upon the first indication that a sore was coming (a tingling on the lip), I was supposed to use the medicine given to me, four times a day. The medicine was either hydrocortisone alone, hydrocortisone with a new medicine, or the new medicine alone. I don’t know which one was given me, but the sore completely disappeared in 3 days.

I never heard of Abreva, but when I now get the indication that a sore is coming, I will use Curasore, and lacking that on hand, hydrocortisone.

Herpes has 8 strains of it- as many others have said Herpes simplex virus 1 and 2 are the cold sore guys. Chicken pox is NOT caused by HHV 1/2 (Human Herpes Virus).
And for the question of if you’re TRULY Herpes free (any form of herpes), are the various types:

HHV1: More commonly the cause of cold sores in the mouth but can vary
HHV2: More commonly the cause of genital herpes
HHV3: Varicella-zoster virus (VZV): This form of herpes is the one that causes chickenpox and shingles
4- EBV- Epstein-Barr Virus- Major cause of infectious Mononucleosis (the “kissing disease”)
5- CMV- Cytomegalovirus- also causes mono, and can cause problems in the immunocompromised (AIDS patients)
6- causes Roseola- usually in small children
7- Probably the least known/newest and apparently related closely to HHV6, causing roseola? Not sure.
8- HHV8 is the cause of KS: Kaposi’s Sarcoma and other cancers mainly in the immunocompromised (so a healthy person may be infected with HHV8 and never know it as long as they have a healthy immune system, but should they ever become compromised, they could end up developing KS).

Herpes. It’s a really interesting family of DNA viruses.

Gitting back to the OP:

Is there a risk to someone else who doesn’t already have herpes? Is there a chance that one of these stray viriod critters might be lingering on my chapstick, waiting to infect my herpes-free SO?