I might buy a PT Cruiser

I have a 2001 Jetta with 31,000 miles. One owner. Very quick, plenty of pep, lots to love. Solidly in your price range. Can you get out to Clearwater to pick it up?

Well, you could combine the PT’s trendiness with another trend and have one that actually works…wait for it…and this is the ONLY time I’ve seen this other trend work…you could put fake “bullet holes” on it! It actually looks amazing on a PT!

I love you people.

Life On Wry : No. You may feel free to smirk. Just don’t make any sounds. I’m sensitive. Like a flower, about to bloom. Got that? :smiley:

aruvkan: His was blue. I swear to you. By the time he got rid of it ( and, I’ve no idea how, but I will email him NOW and ask him ), the overcoating was completely worn away. I could sweep my finger hard along the body of the car and come away with dusty blue paint powder on it. You didn’t by any chance buy it in Philly did you?

ShibbOleth: If you perused my post up there, you might notice a certain…shying away from the concept of a Jetta. I’d sooner hook up a propane tank to a Razor metal scooter to get onto the NYS Thruway than I would drive a Jetta. Every single one I’ve travelled in has been a highly uncomfortable, non-smooth, bouncy jangly jingly rocky blocky stocky ride. Sorry to say I’ve never been to Clearwater and it looks like I won’t be there any time soon. ( Having said that, of course, the Fates will land me there in the next 90 days, where I will walk out of the airport to find an Avis Car Rentaly agency with nothing but rows and rows and rows of V.W. Jettas.

Hm, the paint is very worn on mine…but I am not entirely certain where our exroommate got it, we took it in exchange for some rent, but FWIW we are in eastern CT, and it isnt unlikely to think a car could end up here from there=) We have had it since 95 …

Wow, I’m going to buck things a bit, but I love my PT. I have a 2002 Limited Edition, bought used, and I really enjoy it. I’ve put a bunch of miles on it, so the worth has gone down, but it’s really fun car to drive. Not a ton of acceleration, but it’s got some pep. Mileage hasn’t been bad, 25-30 on the highway.

And I’m a 32 year old guy computer geek. I just enjoy driving it. It’s been a big help during my recent move.

Funny. That’s the way I feel.

If I could afford to buy new PT’s and Honda Elements and blow them up, I would.

Dang, man, you coulda mentioned this at my picnic! Um, not that I’m exactly shopping, but my poor van is getting tired and I’d love a good used Jetta. Except I’ve paid off the van and we’re making payments on the Beetle and the Jetta TDI… Never mind. But, wow, sounds like a good deal!

And I’m 42, too. Just bought a Kia Rio Cinco - a compact station wagon - in Mid-March. Brand new out-the-door-sales-tax-included-price of $13K. Auto trans, power windows & locks, decent CD player, A/C, 8-way adjustable driver’s seat. 60K mile/60 mo. nearly bumper-to-bumper warranty & 100,000 mile/10 yr. limited warranty; 24 hour roadside assisstance. 30mpg; decent acceleration. I’ve haven’t even made the second payment yet, and I’ve got 4900 miles on it.

I’m quite pleased with it so far.

I should add that I, too, have no pony tail (or earring), but I do have more hair than Shibb. And I considered a used Jetta when I bought the Kia, but decided to go with a new vehicle since I was gonna be putting so many miles on it.

Cartooniverse:

If you don’t like the ride in a Jetta, I think you’ll hate the PTC even more. I have only ridden in one, but I didn’t find it comfy, and that was only in town. It would be one of my last choices for a serious road trip.

Have you looked at other cars in that category?

The Matrix/Vibe, Mazda 3 and Subie Impreza are all in that same class. I really like the Mazda 3 hatch and probably would have bought one had I not just bought a Matrix 6 months before the Mazda came out.

A friend of mine who is a rather large gentleman himself, and who makes very regular trips to Home Depot, has been very pleased with his Ford Focus station wagon. I don’t know the exact configuration, but it’s very peppy - I’ve been with him hauling roof-loaded lumber over the Tappan Zee, and it did well.

You put it much more nicely than I do - I think the PT is just about the most hideous car I have ever seen in my life. Used to see a lot of them in Florida - not as many now in Virginia. Maybe there is validity to the point by a later post - bought more by older people?

Susan

I know you said you were looking at an older model, but have you SEEN the new convertible Cruisers? Sweeeeeeeeet, especially if you plan on doing a lot of travelling. I say, if you can afford it, pony up the extra bucks and bring that baby home. The nice touch is that it is a hard top that retracts back, very chic!

My mother bought a PTC, and she loves it to death. I also always enjoy riding in it; I think they look really awesome. I would definitely check out the turbo though, they are much better than the basic (she also has an automatic). She gets really good mileage - when she visits me (about 3 hours away) it only takes 1/4 tank (maybe this is only good in comparison to my barely-alive truck though :wink: ). She’s even considering buying another one, but in convertible form.

I’ve never driven it myself, so I can’t say anything on the handling. I would just test drive it to see if it meshes with your driving personality.

Oh yeah - it has a TERRIBLE sound system. If you expect even sub-par sound from the speakers, you’d have to rig your own. :frowning:

I thought the PT Cruiser looked kind of cool when it first came out, with its retro styling. Now I think they’re too common.

To me, this vehicle has become a “chick’s car.” It’s on step away from a soccer mom in a mini van. As for the mileage, I’d be happy with 25 MPG. My Mustang only gets around 18 MPG, 20 on a good week.

Isn’t there a turbocharged model out now that’s suppose to help the power issue?

That was you??? Dude, not for nothing, but if your pal’s driving, tell him to stop looking for Indian Point Unit 2 at mid-span and keep his eyes on the road. I almost took a 2x4 in the head !!!

Damned city drivers… :wink:

I’m going to stay with the Quest. Have the fuel injectors blown clean and do the transmission flush, and let the miles roll up. I owned wagons, I adore the height that a mini-van affords me. -sigh- The crush , it’s over.

Ya know, you could still rent one for a weekend, just for giggles. Take the Fem-Bot out tooling around, earn some Dad-points, then return to your mundane life afterwards. You and your daughter can then say “We’ll always have the weekend in the PT Cruiser!”

You’re welcome!

:smiley: