I need some tattoo advice

This just makes me want to go out and get my arms sleeved and get a big black goldenpalace.com tattoo on my face.

Yay! Janet Chui’s going to do my pregnant faerie circle design. She says she’s “very excited” about the design (and said no, it isn’t the weirdest request she’s gotten, but “it is one of the coolest!”) She also said she’s got some huge projects coming up, so mine sneaked in just under the wire. She updated her website today to say she can’t take any more commision work right now.

So thanks again, Zabali! I’m so excited to be working with a fantastic artist who’s also excited about working with me. Or with my design, anyway.

I’ll be sure to post pics when it’s all done.

:smiley:

Second this.

A tattoo is like trying to find a cute way to request that people only give money as wedding gifts: even though you might really like the idea and may even enjoy it for a while, it will do a great deal to define you – for a very long time – that you might want to consider beforehand.

Another good rule of thumb for a tattoo should be: would I hang this same work of art on the most prominent wall of my home, where everyone would see it and I would see it more often than any other artwork?

So, if I could get Julian Opie to ink me… Just a small one. :smiley:

Show of hands, how many people read the OP, and the reason for the tattoo before giving a glib response? To re-iterate, the person is symbolically depicting their battle with cancer, which they have prevailed in, which is what the tattoo commemorates.

You’re absolutely right. Giving opinion that wasn’t asked for is an impulsive thing to do. It was done without the forethought of how it will affect others down the road.

A number of my friends have tatoos. My younger friends have really neat ones that are vibrant in both color and composition. My older friend’s tattoo’s don’t seem to have the artistic flair of today’s youth and they appear to need re-inking. I don’t know enough about tattoos to offer advise other than to ask if it is possible to revitalize (redraw?) one over time to keep it looking good.

Alas, I don’t have the option. Both sides of my family get age spots at a higher than normal average. I started my own collection at age 40. There doesn’t seem to be any rime or reason to their location.

Beating cancer is a pivotal event in anyone’s life. Commemorating it in some way seems only natural. Just reading about it makes me want to punch the air and say “YAH”. The suggested design sounds both interesting (and complicated). It reminds me of the Caduceus (staff of Hermes) or the staff of Asclepius, which is often used as a medical symbol of healing. The Canadian Cancer Society uses a daffodil as their symbol so you might consider sneaking these into your design. The amount of time needed to do the job right should be properly estimated so that provisions can be made (if it’s an out-of-town venture).

Whatever design you choose, give it a lot of thought. Patience is free, “do overs” cost extra.

Absolutely. It’s done all the time to counter the effects of aging and/or the sun.

Why not get your clan crest?

Actually, I considered working in my clan crest, or the clan motto, but this artwork will be intricate enough as it is. I don’t want something that will turn into an unrecognizable blob.

As for Gorgonzola’s question: yep. I would definitely hang this artwork prominently in the house or office. You bet.

Then, FWIW, I’d suggest you ask people with admirable-looking tattoos in your hometown who the best tattoo artist around is. We had a friend who was an excellent airbrush artist, and he was very good at putting someone else’s vision up. There is likely at least one tattoo artist nearby who will be moved enough by your story to try working with you.

Did anyone catch the show on the Discovery Channel? One gal reminded me of this thread.

She was a survivor who had had a double radical mastectomy (both boobs gone). She went from hating herself and her scars to loving herself and being very proud of the amazing work of art that covers her chest and torso.

I have seen several similar stories.

I’d consider getting it placed in a slightly less conspicuous area.
Even if it’s wrong to judge people on their appearances, a ceo would be hard pressed to hire an associate with a tribal tattoo creeping up his neck.

I took that into consideration when I got mine on my right upper back/shoulder.
It is hidden from view and that allows me to still remain “professional” in certain situations.
I’ve had friends who have them on calves and biceps but still feel a little odd about them if they have to go golfing with their boss wearing khaki shorts and a polo shirt.
The only time someone in public could view mine is if I had my shirt off. And in these situations (swimming, beach, outdoor sports) a tattoo fits in fine with these casual activities.

That woman’s tattoo is a work of art, I was thinking of her story when I replied to this thread in fact.

I have, indeed, begun doing that. Funny story, in fact: last night, my wife and I went out to dinner at a steakhouse we frequent. I noticed a waitress’ tattoo, and asked her if she had had it extended since I saw her last. She explained that she’d just had it re-inked, and we got in a conversation about artists and her favorite place.

When we finished, my wife said, “That’s a great way to handle it. When you see someone, and you like what she’s got, ask her about it.” I almost spat my drink on the table. My wife started laughing and said, “You know what I mean!”

I have a feeling that line will be used again…

That’s true, but he said it is going to be on the bicep, there’s no reason to assume it will also go up the shoulders and onto the neck. I would say that at most, the bottom of it might peak out of he wore a short-sleeved shirt to work. Of course, depending on his job, tattoos and/or shirtlessness might be a good thing. :wink:

Cool! Meant to say this earlier, but didn’t so saying it now. I’d like to see the original concept design on paper, and the healed tattoo if you’re up for it. :slight_smile: The healed tattoo at the least, I’m patient.

I’m planning to keep it on my biceps, so it will show when I want it to.

My job? I’m a writer, and I own a bookstore. I can do the former wearing anything I please. As for the latter, it’s my store, so I can still wear what I please.