If I take 1 Tylenol and 1 Advil, will my head asplode?

Never had an aura either. From what I understand they’re quite a bit easier to control if you get them. They only way I know a non-debilitating headache is a migraine is if two doses of Tylenol spaced about 45 minutes apart (I know) don’t put a dent in it or it continues to get worse. Then I pull out the heavy artillery (6mg Sumatriptan IM).

Thanks to Excedrin, I assume there’s no problem with Tylenol + aspirin (in general, provided you don’t take excessive doses of either) but what about ibuprofen + aspirin? Is that going to do anything bad (again assume the doses for each aren’t excessive on their own).

And then there’s three. Would the Tylenol + aspirin + ibuprofen combo be problematic (assuming normal doses of each again)?

Aspirin and Ibuprofen are both NSAIDs- so you’re basically increasing the effects of the same drug (see all those stomach ulcers and kidney issues and such things from above).

The only extra thing will be that the aspirin will also thin your blood, but it’s a COX inhibitor just like Ibuprofen, and so it’s like taking the same medication again. (Same issue for when you take 3 medications- you’re basically just taking Acetaminophens and two NSAIDs- which are the same medication) You are just increasing the amount of NSAIDs you’re taking, it’s just redundant- you’d get the same effect if you took an equal amount of tylenol and either of the two NSAIDs, you’d get the equivalent to your 3 combination.
The major different in Aspirin and Ibuprofen is they both have anti-clotting effects, but aspirin lasts longer, while Ibuprofen is considered to have a slightly stronger analgesic component.
(Aspirin has always been considered a “weak” analgesic in the NSAIDs family, and better suited for inflammation and anti-clotting effects more so than pain relief when prescribing it- easier to go with another NSAID for pain relief and not have the side effect anti-clotting issues to deal with- that was an issue in another GQ Question thread if I recall, about a week or so ago).

As for the GABA issue, that deals with Neurotransmitters more so (things like benzos and such drugs deal with GABA). NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, and they work on COX 1 or COX 2 receptors (or both in some drugs), not GABA receptors.

I can’t tolerate caffeine, so I think I’ll just try the two together.

I’m kind of lost here, I’m feeling a migraine starting right now (not too bad, took two ibuprofen). When I wake up in the morning, if I still have it, could I please have the recipe one more time, spelled out slowly and carefully for this hurtin’ dummy ?

I have ibuprofen, aspirin, Tylenol, and Advil. How many of what again, and when?

I’m on my phone, so forgive any grammar errors.

You can take 400mg of ibuprofen (two OTC tablets) and 1000 mg acetaminophen (two extra strength tylenol) at one time. You can take that every 4 to 6 hours. Maximum of 3200mg of ibuprofen and 4000mg of acetaminophen in 24 hours. As long as you don’t have any other health conditions.

Oh, and advil is a brand of ibuprofen, so they are the same thing.

Ibuprofen and advil are exactly the same drug, generic name and brand name. Ibuprofen and aspirin are both members of a group of drugs called NSAIDS which stands for non steroidal anti inflamatory drugs. This group of drugs also includes things like Voltaren, Alleve, and Toradol. As such, they all have similar side effect profiles, esp being hard on the stomach and potentially causing GI bleeding, and you should probably only be taking one med, from this class of meds, at any one time.

Standard short term dosing for Tylenol is 650mg (2 regular) to 1000mg (2 extra strength) every 4-6 hours.

Standard ibuprofen dosing is 400mg (2tabs) every 6 hours. Prescription strength ibuprofen is usually every 8 hours with a little something in your stomach to protect it.

As noted above, Tylenol is found in many combination OTC drugs. Any
sneezing-sniffling-achy-so-you-can-rest’ probably has tylenol in it.

You should also know that some prescription pain relievers also have it. PercoCET, DarvoCET have aCETaminiphen (Tylenol), as does Vicodin, you should not take tylenol and these meds at the same time.

As always, this is general information readily available online, I don’t know shit about your personal health.

The combination of ibruprofen and paracetamol are these Maxigesic tablets. Available, at least on the NZ market, over the counter at pharmacies.

It sounds like a good way to destroy your liver. People on this board have dealt with liver failure taking too much Tylenol.

It sounds like pretty standard tylenol dosing to me.

As long as you stay under 4 grams (8 X 500mg pills) per 24 hours, you’ll be safe according to the bottle, which from what I understand, has a significant safety margin built in.

In our litigious world, you’d have to think that the dosages on the bottles of Tylenol and Advil are pretty close to completely safe for your average adult.

That’s true. The problem comes in when, as mentioned before, you take the approved, safe and stated dose of Tylenol for your headache and the approved, safe and standard dose of Benadryl Allergy and Cold capsules for your seasonal allergies and the approved, safe and standard dose of Theraflu when you start suspecting your “allergies” are really the flu coming on… all in one day. Adding up all those sources of acetaminophen, you’ve greatly exceeded the actual safe dose for the day.

People do this ALL THE TIME. Ironically, giving *me *a headache.

Better take some Tylenol for that headache! :smiley:

They should make Acetaminoprofen pills

See response 48 (note that paracetamol=acetaminophen).

Damn. I just dusted off my chemistry set.