If President Obama is re-elected, will any of the "conservative" SC justices retire in his 2nd term?

Me too.

If she got the White House, maybe Al Franken becomes a Justice. Or Bernie Sanders. Or at least I can dream.

The few interviews I’ve seen with Thomas make me think he doesn’t like his job very much. I could see an outside chance of him saying “screw it” and retiring to tool around in his RV.

Scalia seems like he’s in good health, likes his job and also seems the Justice that would be most bothered by letting a Dem choose his successor. I doubt he’s going anywhere.

Roberts and Alito’s just got there and their gavels still have that “new gavel smell”, can’t imagine they’ll go anywhere for many years.

Kennedy seems the most frail of the bunch. I could see him retiring due to health reasons in the next four years.

But Guinsburg seems the most likely next-out by far. She’s been in poor health for a while and would probably want a Dem to chose her replacement. Everyone though she’d be the first to go last term.

Moved to Elections from IMHO because it’s a political topic.

Seconded. I can absolutely see Scalia and Kennedy being forced out by the way of all flesh, though.

Can you explain why you feel that way? It does seem at odds with Thomas’ marathon stretch between speaking from the bench, but I have not studied the man’s jurisprudence.

In a New Yorker piece last year, Jeffrey Toobin suggests that, despite his silence during oral arguments, Thomas is both smarter and more influential than one might think. His worldview is, to my mind, abhorrent, but he’s no lightweight.

And Roberts is only 57. :frowning:

Really more of a GD topic, though, don’t you think? Only tangentially related to the election itself.

Scalia and Thomas have my vote on most likely to leave for medical reasons.

I don’t know why, but every time I look at Thomas, I keep saying to myself, ‘That man has a family history of heart disease.’ I don’t know if it’s true, it’s just my instinctive evaluation.

Kennedy will possibly retire. Maybe even probably retire.

I’m almost sure Ginsberg will resign if Obama wins reelection. I can also see Kennedy stepping down as he’s going to be the subject of a lot of speculation during the 2016 race since his replacement could significantly alter the ideological balance of the court.

I’ve never gotten the impression that Kennedy is devoted to the Supreme Court to the extent someone like Scalia or Rehnquist are/were.

IF any of those listed in the poll actually go I would imagine Kennedy is the most likely. I was surprised and somewhat heartened to see Scalia is 76. That gives me hope he will be gone in my lifetime.

Or maybe Scalia will take a hint from E.J. Dionne and resign.

Damn! Excuse me, I have go clean some pig shit off the roof of my car . . .

Thomas views oral arguments as a useless bit of theater. And honestly, I’d be hard pressed to disagree with him.