If you could sit down with any person, living or dead...

Roy Blount, Jr. He’s my favorite writer, he’s done a ton of stuff, and he just seems like he’d be a really fun guy to hang around. Reading his books is like having a one-sided conversation with one of the smartest, funniest people you’d ever want to meet.

I suppose I could learn more from somebody else, or have a more insightful conversation, but he was the first person to spring to mind.

Julius Ceasar

Thomas Jefferson

The same Cyrano de Bergerac who couldn’t tell a girl that he liked her for 15 years, up until he died?

I would want to speak with an early human, at the stage where spoken language was just evolving.

Agreed. Or perhaps any of the other framers of the U.S. Constitution who could help us cut through all the current bullshit regarding the original intent of several of the first ten amendments.

My second choice would have been Vonnegut, but I have actually had that incredible privilege. :smiley:

Lee Harvey Oswald - O.K., just between us, who put you up to it?

Jack NMN Ruby - Ditto

James Earl Ray - Ditto

Sirhan Bishara Sirhan - Ditto

Julius Caesar. He’s always my answer to this question. Just an intensely interesting man and one of the key figures of my most favorite era of history.

Some others would include: Augustus Caesar, Nero, Charlemagne, Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, and Gene Roddenberry and all the stars of every Trek series and movie.

One of these things is not like the other, I know.

No kidding; how do you lump Christopher Columbus in there? :wink:

Robert E Lee - Re: Pickett’s Charge…WTF?

William Shakespeare - just to say “Thanks!”

Thomas Jefferson - see above :smiley:

My history prof told us that if he could meet one historical person, it would be Aristotle and his first question would be if he could look at his closet to see how it was organized. I found that rather amusing.

Anyway, there are a lot of people I’d like to meet. Elizabeth Blackwell, the first female doctor in the US, was one of my heros growing up, and even though I long ago gave up my desire to be one, I’d like to meet her. Rosa Parks was my other hero, and I would like to talk to her.

I’d like to meet some of my ancestors and ask them about theirs, about their lives and their stories, not the candy coated versions that get handed down.

Jesus would be nice, most assuredly if I could get a note from him telling his follows to play nice, no really, this time he means it, same for all other great relligious people, so maybe our world could have some peace.

I would also like to be able to thank all of those people, many of them nameless to history, that came before me and through their work, allowed me to be what I am. To the women that fought for the rights to vote and to be educated, for the men and women that drew that line in the sand about what our fundamental rights should be, and to all those that dreamed tomorrow would be a better day and worked for it. Without them, the great people like Jefferson and Washington and Susan B. Anthony wouldn’t have been able to accomplish nearly as much.

Those are the first names that popped into my head. I also wouldn’t mind talking with one of the South Park creators.

C.S. Lewis - no special question; just a chat while walking beside the Cherwell, followed by a beer or two with other friends. A foretaste of paradise…

Dick Gregory-anything, I’d just want to hear his wisdom. And he’d be funny, too.

Fred Rogers-I would ask him to tell me bedtime stories, my father was a horrible angry man, and Mr.Rogers would’ve been my ideal dad.

Although a chat with Jesus is must intriguing, he was simply doing what he was told. Now a sit down with Dad-that would be the thing to desire. :wink:

Beating out all the obvious choices like Hitler (“What the f*& is your problem?"), Lindburgh ("What the f*& is your problem?”), Stalin (“What the f*& is your problem?"), Chairman Mao ("What the f*& is your problem?”), Che (“What the f*& is your problem?"), Harrison ("What the f*& is John’s problem?”), The Pope (“What the f*&$ is THE problem?”) would be Miss Miller.

I would tell her something I’ve been waiting to for a long time.

A girl I was secretly in love with in high school died and I sure would like the opportunity to tell her how I felt. So she’d be on the top of the list.

I’d also like to say a thank you to Steven Spielberg.

Next would be about a thousand historical figures.

American statesman: Gouverneur Morris, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton

Scientist: Richard Feynman

Author: David Sedaris, Arthur Conan Doyle, H. L. Mencken

Actor: Anthony Hopkins

Musician: Mozart, Stuart Murdoch, Frank Zappa

Comedian: Jerry Seinfeld, Tom Lehrer, John Cleese

Oh, definitely Parkinson.

I mean, that guy’s made a lifetime’s career out of interviewing fascinating people, so imagine how interesting the conversation would be?

Meeting a person alive or dead, I assume means they are alive when you meet them? Not that I’m strange… :rolleyes:

What you do with your figurative interviewees on your time…

But yes, my assumption (yeah, I know) is that they’d be alive when you sat down with them.

:eek: