If you're following the World Cup...

I say, old boy, GorillaMan is a big football fan!

Tiebreaking criteria
If teams are even on points at the end of group play, the tied teams will be ranked as follows:

a) Greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) Goal difference in all group matches;
c) Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
d) Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) Drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup™.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Tiebreaking_criteria

They’d still win! :eek: :confused: :o

OK, it’s slightly more complicated. Official regulations (PDF)

If two teams rank equal in the table, and the match between them wasn’t a draw, the winner of that match progresses. If they’d drawn, then it’s lots.

If three teams rank equal in the table, a ‘mini-table’ is created just using the results from the matches between these teams. If two teams are still equal in this new table, and they’d drawn their match, then it’s lots.

Damn you, glee…but at least I got it from the horse’s mouth :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry old bean but being new to the SDMb I was unaware of Gorillamans appreciation of the beautiful game.

Toodle pip and all that :smiley:

Started out “meh”, with maybe a nod to past favorites like England and Brazil, but after yesterday’s showing I’m going with Argentina for sheer joie de vivre both on and off court (did you see Maradona prancing in the stands like a kid?)

… and I’m still waiting for the day Israel makes it to the Mondial again (I was too young to follow in 1970 :frowning: )

Yes, but I scored first! (cue robotic dance / running around with shirt over head and finally leading SDMB in mass dive)

Allow me to welcome you to our spiffing community. :smiley:

Of course our friendly transatlantic hosts provide most of the comment, but there’s a reasonable number of us tea-drinking chaps to season the mixture.

Oi, wot a toff! 'Eave 'arf a brick at 'im! 'E’s worse than me trouble and strife, and I ain’t ‘avin’ no giraffe, neither!

Oz were doing really well against Brazil until the second half. :frowning:

Still, they’ve got 10 mins to equalise.

Me: US, Brazil,
Husband: Germany, US

Both: Italy in the next game, and then: Whichever team is playing against Italy.

Holland, of course.
Then any underdog.
Like Australia - showed guts against Brazil.

Canada’s not in it, so I have nobody to root for except I hope an underdog wins. There’s a lot of underdogs, though.

Argentina then after that any team that’s the underdog.
And any team that play England.

Me too! Australia first, then Argentina and Italy (coolest jersies, you see - although the Italian strip this WC leaves a lot to be desired) and then anyone who plays (and preferably beats or even better humiliates) England.

mm

I’ve been cheering for Argentina since the '94 World Cup.

I’ll confess that it started with the somewhat arbitrary fact that I thought that Gabriel Batistuta was particularly, ahem, attractive.

Trinidad & Tobago, with Italy as my emergency backup, and after that Anybody But Brazil.

Coming as I do from oop norf of Merrie England (Manchester) I’m afraid the cockney rhyming slang is lost on us peasants.

Just 'cos we aint as posh as what you suvverners is, is a fing wot we 'ave to endure.

Rumour is we are getting electric lights AND running water soon and with a bit of luck they’ll be closing the dark satanic mills and opening summat called a library.

Thanks for the welcome gents/ladies :smiley: I love you all

Mexico then Germany then anyone but Brazil.