I'm sick! What can I eat/drink to settle my stomach?

Lipton’s Ginger Twist Tea tastes great when you’re well but is blissfully soothing if you’re barfy, especially if it cools down a bit first.

As far as the bananas go, I’ve heard they can cause and cure constipation. I can’t vouch for the veracity of this link, but it kinda explains how both can be true.

Yes! Food won’t settle a sick stomach. Only time will do that. But rehydration is essential, even if the water doesn’t stay down for long.

More complex liquids & bland food can be tried as gradual tests–has the stomach settled down?

Stash Tea makes a lemon-ginger herb tea which I’ve found to be very soothing if you’ve got an upset stomach. Other than that, I go along with the previously suggested ginger-ale then saltines or dry toast routine.

Gotta be flat lemonade (7up/Sprite to you), and a piece of Vegemite toast :smiley:

What?

As has been mentioned give the 7up/Sprite a stir with a spoon, will get it flat much quicker.

This is serious advise, I realise it may be hard to get hold of vegemite but this is the number #1 ‘under the weather’ DIY remedy.

(I say DIY, because while Chicken soup is supposed to be very good, it’s probably the last thing you want to do when you feel like crap.)

Besides the ginger ale (I’m a Schweppe’s snob myself, but anything will do if desperate) and/or Gatorade, nibble on something salty – saltines, Ritz crackers, soup only if you’re up to it.

Thanks all for the replies. I was able to have my roommate get me some Ginger Ale, which helped immensely. My stomach has settled down, but my joints are still sore all over. Do you think it’d be a bad idea to dry having some Tylenol? I don’t want to piss my stomach off again!

I sometimes feel sore and achy all over when I’ve been sick - it’s kind of a “washed-out” feeling. Personally, I think you’re better off re-hydrating (that helps lubricate the joints) and leaving any potentially stomach-irritating tablets out of it for now, but that depends on your pain tolerance and how well you deal with Tylenol.

But if you DO take it, don’t take it on an empty stomach. At least eat a cracker with the Tylenol.

Day 2: I feel much better–surprisingly so. Definitely not 100% though, as I still have a headache, and I still feel slightly “off,” but otherwise, I’m amazed I’ve recovered this quickly. Thank god too, otherwise I’d be out $300 for the dirt bike camp I had booked this weekend.

Hopefully I’ll feel perfect by then :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you’re feeling better.

Everyone has mentioned everything that my mom used to give us when we were sick, except for the popsicles. I assume they’re just another way to keep kids hydrated. Does anyone have a comment about popsicles?

Tylenol (acetaminophen) would at least be easier on your stomach than ibuprofen or aspirin. You probably want to try the smallest dose first.

Man, I feel like I should be the king of this thread…IBS, gastritis, and just an overall weak stomach my whole damn life. (Incidentally, in addition to actually learning my lesson about binge drinking the FIRST time, Prilosec OTC and amitriptyline have been life savers.)

When I’m upchucking, particularly after it’s been going on a while, I find that I crave 3 things: Gatorade, Coca-Cola, and 7-Up. Gatorade for the electrolytes, and because the flavor, as mentioned above, is mild enough to not make your tummy reject it outright. Coke and 7-Up are tougher to explain; those may be more comfortable than anything else, since it’s an age-old home remedy, BUT I think it all boils down to sugar. I once realized that Emetrol, the OTC nausea medicine, is really just a thick sugar solution. And for me at least, Emetrol works.

Sadly, the night after my wedding, staying in the Presidential Suite of a beautiful Bed and Breakfast, my belly decided to go all stabby on me. Usually I pack lots of stomach medicine, just in case, often including phenergan (sp?) but because of the wedding I had nothing.

On one of many trips to the bathroom, I noticed the in-room coffee pot, which had, beside it, condiments for said coffee. I nabbed 3 sugar packets and as soon as I was still enough to not be completely nauseated, I downed them. It worked. The nausea went away for a while–long enough for the new wife to return with a stockpile of Coke, etc.

Popsicles are amazing, too. Keeps fluids going in, feels good on your usually parched mouth and throat, and limits you from chugging too much at one time.