Instant Death poisons

Etorphine is heavy shit - a synthetic morphine analog used to tranquilise large animals. It works fast and 10 mg will apparently send an African elephant to sleep - it would be fatal to humans at that dose and prob 100 times lower.

Its effects can be rapidly reversed, though, with super-potent opioid antagonists.

Are you sure it wasn’t nicotinic acid? It can be used as a dehydrogenase, so that makes more sense for a chemistry lab. Otherwise, don’t know. Nicotine can be used as an insecticide, but it has been prohibited for decades since it’s pretty bad for other animals too.

In 2009 Michael Marin burned his house down. Soon after, he was found guilty of arson, facing 7-21 years in prison. Moments after the verdict was read, he snuck a cyanide capsule into his mouth; he was dead a few minutes later.

two-click rule for the video:

here’s the video from the verdict reading.

At 0:29 you can see him sneak the capsule into his mouth. By 2:20 he exhibits the first outward symptoms of distress, which ramp up very quickly to severe distress, and by 2:45 he’s on the floor. There may have been a video cut at 2:11, not sure how much time was lost there.

Authorities found cyanide in his car and believe he made a capsule from it. I would guess a significant part of the delay between ingestion and symptoms in this case might be due to the time required to dissolve the gelatin capsule in his stomach, unless he actually managed to chew it - and I doubt he chewed it, considering he was trying to be very discreet about it.

I’m pretty sure, though it was so long ago that I can’t be absolutely certain. Isn’t nicotinic acid a solid powder, though? The jar we saw definitely contained a brownish liquid. Judging from the label it was probably manufactured in the 1960s or 1970s. The chemistry teacher (who sadly passed away a few months ago) was known to be a bit eccentric, so I guess it’s possible he ordered the chemical on a whim, or for his own personal projects, without any educational use in mind, which explains why it had sat on the shelf, apparently unused all those years.

In The Hospital (1971), the George C. Scott character, contemplating suicide, said that a big injection of potassium would quickly cause a fatal heart attack. I don’t know if that’s true, or if Paddy Chayefsky made it up.

it’s true.

It appears nicotine isn’t nearly as toxic as people have thought.

Nicotine - a highly toxic drug?

How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century

No, a big shot of potassium would cause you to explode quite violently. There are lots of videos on YouTube (such as this one) showing what happens when pure potassium comes in contact with water (or any liquid containing significant amounts of water, such as human blood).

A big shot of potassium chloride, on the other hand, will give you a fatal heart attack (sans explosion).

Prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) is fairly quick acting and it resembles a heart attack. The extremely dangerous Paladin Press survivalist guide The Poor Man’s James Bond tells people how to make it. However, the steps seems to be wrong, so attempting to do so could be fatal.

In the 1973 film classic, The Mechanic, Charles Bronson (the protagonist) is killed by a poison called brucine. It also mimics a heart attack and it acts quickly. Because of its limited uses it’s almost impossible to obtain legally and possessing it might cause a person to have a lengthy chat with the authorities.

The major problem with using poisons of any type is that most people would survive or would survive long enough to tell others enough details for them to quickly ascertain that they have been poisoned. There’s also the bugger of accidentally poisoning oneself will attempting to do in another person.

Reference:

Isn’t it also excruciatingly painful?

Even a small IV drip of potassium chloride can be excruciatingly painful. Personal experience.

Found an interesting explanation of various poisons on this board. A little long but I found it worth reading.

Thanks to everyone for making this an informative thread. Turble’s link to current evaluations of the toxicity of nicotine was particularly interesting to me.

Errol

Ouch. I presume this was in a medical context – what did they do about the pain it caused? Just let you suffer?

I used to work for an old-school synthetic chemist, who was a fount of arcane trivia. I remember him telling me that cyanide has a distinctive taste, and that cigarette smoke somehow sensitized one to trace amounts. Yes, he recommended smoking a butt if you were working with cyanide at the bench.

True story.

The nurse turned down the drip till it stopped hurting, apologized for torturing me (her words), and explained that some people have sensitive veins and they have no way of knowing who in advance.

Why isn’t a cyanide pill used instead of lethal injection on death row inmates?

I guessing they are going for a totally pain free death. As I recall the first application is to put the subject to sleep, don’t recall what the second dose is for but the final dose is to stop the heart.

Should remember all three after watching “You Don’t Know Jack” about Jack Kevorkian last night. :slight_smile:

Errol

Off topic, but if you have to have a potassium drip again, ask them to add some sodium bicarb to it. Your veins will thank you.