Is religion the main reason for the Israel/Palestine conflict?

Please show me evidence that there is a distinct “Palestinian” dialect which is generally spoken in Gaza, the West Bank, and Israel proper but generally not spoken in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, or Egypt.

Cites, links, and quotes please.

Then by all means, fight my ignorance. Cites, links, and quotes please.

Sure it is, if the claim itself is the only evidence that the culture in question is in fact identifiable.

And by the way, why is it that there was no serious push for a “Palestinian State” between 1948 and 1967? Surely that was an opportune time for such a project given that there was no Jewish control over the West Bank and Gaza. The “Palestinians” could have set up their own government, currency, and immigration controls. They could have offered citizenship to “Palestinians” living in Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria just like Israel offered citizenship to Jews.

Why didn’t they seize on the opportunity to achieve the self-determination they claim to want?

Well Brazil, let me just say again that I claim zero expertise on issues relating to Israel/Palestine. However, I can tell you this. My husband is a native Arabic speaker. He has some friends who also are native Arabic speakers from other countries. They do sound different. If I hear a person I do not know speaking Arabic, I will have a good chance of guessing where that person is from. I myself do not speak Arabic, outside of maybe a very few polite phrases like please, thank you, and go to hell.

I have no dog in this fight, I am just stating the fact that the different dialects do sound different. If you were familiar enough with the sound of one dialect, you also would be able to hear a difference. I feel like I’m arguing with a colorblind person over whether or not there is really a difference between green and blue.

What do you want for a cite? Go read a newspaper written by a Jordanian, read another article on the same subject written by a Syrian. It may be difficult if you don’t speak or read Arabic. That is to say, you may not be able to discern the difference, but it does not mean there is no difference.

BTW what are the positions of Arab Christians on the Israel-Palestinian conflict (along with those with other Muslim countries in the ME)? Because Israel did support the Lebanese Christians in their civil war.

I don’t know why you think 19 years of not establishing a sovreign state is such a big deal. If it has been free open land to settle and establish such, seems like the Jewish people took some 2000 years to do it. Thats a whole lot longer, no? I only add this because you seem to ask me directly, but again, I’m no expert, and I have no dog on the fight. But since you asked, thats my thoughts on your questions.

For fuck’s sake… of course “Palestinian” is a created ethnicity which was formed around the turn of the 20th century. So is “Israeli.” So what?

Then why do you insist without any evidence that there is a distinct “Palestinian” dialect of Arabic?

I am happy to concede that there are different flavors and dialects of Arabic. But that’s not the same thing as your unsupported claim which is that there is a distinct “Palestinian” Arabic.

Probably that’s because you refuse to understand what we are arguing about.

Claiming that there are different versions of Arabic is not the same as claiming that there is a distinct “Palestinian” version. For reasons best known to yourself, you refuse to grasp this distinction.

Assuming that there is a difference, it would not establish your position in the slightest. But in any event, I’m not your research associate. It’s not my responsibility to go looking for evidence to support your claims.

Again, I absolutely concede that there are different dialects of Arabic.

19 years of not even seriously attempting to establish a sovereign state. And hundreds of years before that.

Do you understand that there is a distinction between attempting to do something and actually accomplishing it?

Besides which, what exactly was stopping them?

If your knowledge is so limited, then why do you seem to be so confident that my claim is inaccurate? And why is it that you cannot provide a shred of evidence to support your own claims?

I don’t think “Israeli” is a created ethnicity so much as a created political nationality. (Besides which, “Israeli” was not created for destructive purposes.)

Go back and read the exchange. Ralph124c was puzzled as to why the Egyptians would care so much about the conflict between Israel and the “Palestinians” This question is easier to answer when you understand that “Palestinians” are really just Arabs.

Neither was “Palestinian,” it was created simply because we’ve got to have some name more specific than “Arab” for these people. Or, rather, it survives for that reason. The story of its origin is a bit more complex – but not much:

Why is that? I mean, suppose that Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt had simply absorbed the descendants of Palestinian Arabs living under their sovereignty just like Israel has absorbed all of the Jews who were chased out the Arab world and just like every other group of displaced people has been absorbed. In that case, the people now known as “Palestinians” would simply be known as Lebanese, Syrians, Egyptians, and so forth.

1. Well, that didn’t happen, so we still need a name for the Palestinians.

2. We would need a name, anyway, for those still living in Israel and the OTs.

3. I can’t believe you asked such a stupid question.

Sure. As I said, “Palestinians” are a recent invention for purposes of undermining Israel.

Not really. The Arabs living in Israel are normally referred to as Israeli Arabs. The Arabs living in Gaza could simply be referred to as “Gazan Arabs”; and so on.

I would guess my question seems stupid to you because you choose not to understand the reality of the situation.

:rolleyes: You don’t even mean the name, do you?!

I don’t understand your question. There is a group of Arabs which are commonly referred to as “Palestinians.” Unlike other Arabs, they are essentially barred from citizenship in Arab countries. In Lebanon, they are barred from a long list of professions and occupations.

Of course none of this was true before Israeli independence. There was no group of Arabs which were referred to as “Palestinians.” Indeed, during the Ottoman days, Arabs moved throughout different parts of the Ottoman empire. There was also substantial movement of Arabs under the British mandate.

Before 1948, if an Arab living in Ramalah had moved to Beirut or Damascus, he would not have been turned away as a “Palestinian” or forced to live in a refugee camp.

Moreover, before 1967 there was never a serious push for a “Palestinian” state. In particular, when Jordan and Egypt controlled the West Bank and Gaza, the group known as “Palestinians” did not push for an independent “Palestinian State.”

The reasonable conclusion from all of this is that “Palestinians” are a recent invention for purposes of undermining Israel.

Unlike other “Arabs,” they are mostly descended from people who have been living in Palestine forever. Including Jews. It’s a family quarrel.

I’m skeptical of this claim . . . . do you have a cite?

And assuming it’s true, why should that bar them from citizenship in other Arab countries?

And by the way, here is the kicker:

If the “Palestinians” get their “Palestinian State,” one might think that it would offer citizenship to “Palestinians” in the same way that Israel offers citizenship to Jews.

Not so:

Even if those “refugees” happen to be living on the West Bank, they will not get citizenship!

cite

Jews were there for thousands of years (say almost 4000). 200 years ago there were almost no Arabs in Palestine, now there are millions. Many came just after WWI - when Jews started coming in and making the place worth living in.

Of course, that’s there are so many clans among “Palestinians” with names like Al-Masri(The Egyptian), Al-Mughrabi(The Moroccan), Halabi(name that came from Aleppo,Syria), “Khamis” - from Bahrain, “al-Faruqi” - from Mosul, Iraq, “al-Araj” - from Morocco, “al Lubnani” - from Lebanon, “al-Djazair” - the Algerian, “al-Yamani” the Yemeni, “Hourani” - Houran Syria etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, it’s not as well documented, but almost as many Arabs immigrated to the Mandate during British rule as Jews. Mainly for economic reasons, I think.