Is rock music bad for you?

Nah. Silly would be if you’d spent three pages defending this Diamond guy, with lots of bolded text and Random Capitalization.

It once struck me that many well known arias are waltzes. Does that mean that opera is bad too?

Are you sure? I think “Piano Man”, classical waltzes, and most other 3/4 pieces of music are dactylic, not anapestic. The difference is which of the three beats is stressed: in anapestic it’s the last, and in dactylic, the first. Consider the syllable stresses in the Billy Joel song; each line of text here is a bar of music, with dashes representing notes sustained to the first beat or two of the following bar:

Of course, rock music is bad for you! It’ll lead you straight down the “Highway to Hell”! :rolleyes:
<runs away, laughing hysterically>

Profuse apologies to AC/DC, but I just couldn’t resist! :smiley:

Seriously. The only other example I can think of is a couple of bars in “Stairway to Heaven,” the brief fanfare at 5:38 and 5:49 just before the hard rock guitar solo. And it’s in 4/4, and it comes as a sharp interruption in the regular rock beat. Which means it’s anomalous.

[slight hijack]

This is the second thread I’ve read in the past few months that has dealt with the topic of certain Christians being opposed to rock music, for various reasons. Honestly, I had thought this whole thing had played out by the mid 1980’s; seriously, at 91.1 on my FM dial, and channel 63 on my Sirius receiver, I can hear music that is pretty obviously “rock” by artists who are overtly Christian.

Is this whole “Rock Music is Teh Evil” thing making a comeback?

[/slight hijack]

I can hear The Anapests’ anthem now:

“B-b-b-b-b-bad
B-b-b-b-b-brain”

PREformer: Someone who forms something before it is actually formed, or “pre” formed.

PERformer: The word you are actually looking for.

Lots of things can damage hearing. Loud sounds, however, do not cause muscle weakness. Loss of IQ maybe…

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to have my preformance reviewed.

What about afropop? The new red hot chili peppers album has afropop elements

I think Joe Cocker

Are you seriously asking if afropop is bad for you? No. The only way music can be bad for you is if you play it too loud, or get distracted by it so you crash your car, or play the wrong music and get beaten up for it.

No beats or rhythm or lyrics are inherently bad for you. That concept is simply stupid.

screwed up his face and fell down? I think that was an SNL sketch.

Isn’t this exactly what Jerry Falwell would have said?

These debates are always funny. Rock musicians and critics go on about how deep, meaningful and influential the genre is, how it has changed lives and societies. Then when someone suggests that death metal or gangsta rap might possibly not be setting the best example, they say, “Aah, it’s just entertainment - the kids don’t take it seriously.”

Right, and we should apply those moral standards across the board. Therefore, any work which mentions drunkenness, killing, sadistic acts, wantonness, incest, and other deviant acts should be banned.

So I can dismiss this as outdated gibberish. Thanks.

Hey, I don’t blame you for asking. Ignorance fighting is what we are about. And how can we fight ignorance if you don’t ask?