Is there anything the SDMB could beat every other message board in existence at?

If you ever find one please let me know. Everyone I have seen is either juvenile rivalry fighting or strictly fantasy baseball oriented. I have looked, I have not found a good one.

I like LHoD’s answer though {whoosh aside}, I have never seen a board or site that can answer so many diverse and odd questions.

Jim

I agree with Angua - Trivial Pursuit. If everyone was on a team - heck, if we picked just FIVE people for a team - we could beat any other board out there hands-down.

I also think we kick ass in the “neatness” category. Every other board I’ve seen, even one-line posts take up half a screen because everyone has long-ass sigs with seven banner graphics and a long list of what little stupid secret clubs they belong to. Some boards even allow for huge 250x250 animated avatars. maaarrrhaaaggghh!!

I think this board would be ace in a pop quiz that wasn’t narrowed down to one subject. If it was all topics possible, like Jeopardy! or Trivial Pursuit, we’d have a decent chance. When it comes to single topics we would do well but be narrowed out by individual boards dedicated to that subject.

Deep sea underwater exploration in the 60’s.

Also, goat felching.

I don’t belong to, or seen many other message boards out there, so it’s just a guess, but I think the SDMB has spawned the most other derivative sites that exist to talk about this board. I don’t know if snopes, fark, or other boards have these little other places for discussing what happens on their boards. My impression may be dead wrong, but I hadn’t seen that particular phenomenom until, and since, I’ve been posting here.

Which is why I was shocked when this question got absolutely no replies.

This is similar to my suggestion: I’m thinking we’d come out on top if there were some way to quantify sheer breadth and variety of expertise. We have here astrophysicists, long-haul truckers, medical doctors, sports geeks, teachers, jet pilots, computer engineers, media people, veterinarians, poets, political junkies, cops, evolutionary biologists, and on and on and on, not to mention people from dozens and dozens of countries and every age group. There may be message boards that can beat us in any given demographic or specialty, but it’s the broad base of knowledge and experience that keeps me pinned here.

Now, how you’d measure that quality and make it competitive, I have no idea. :slight_smile:

But only for 20 minutes.

I agree. This board’s moderators have done a remarkable job of keeping the place cleaned up and on target, without the use of an iron fist.

I used to be a moderator on a huge messageboard (more than 100,000 members. Yikes). The board was originally a very pleasant place to post, with lots of interesting, well-educated, funny people. It slowly degenerated into a hubbub of bad-tempered nattering teenaged ninnies, with trolls becoming so common that many of them were ignored and permitted to continue their trollish ways.

Without good moderators, I think any online paradise will soon become a weed-infested dump.

I’m surprised no one has mention ‘witty.’ I’ve never seen such clever and quick high-brow and low-brow humor posted so frequently.

Ergo, there must be boards that match ours out there. Anyone want to share?

I agree. As far as I’m concerned, when it comes to Simpsons references, those other message boards couldn’t outreference their mothers on the referenciest day of the year if they had an electrified reference machine.

Maybe it’s covered under trivia, but there’s a deep font of knowledge here about TV and movies, especially The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Monty Python, Princess Bride, The Sopranos, and recently, The Godfather movies. Puts TWOP to shame.

And whenever I’ve come here from another board with a description of a book or a short story, someone always knows the title.

On Great Debates, on one memorable occasion we had a discussion that involved Nazism, Communism and Smurfs.

Aside from the existence of “We’re a board specifically for former Jeopardy contestants” boards, I’m guessing we’re WAY in the lead for general knowledge boards on Jeopardy contestants.

What’s the list at now (including international versions)? Something like 70 members?

We need us a season-long thread, don’t we?

We need to throw down the gauntlet and start an inter-messageboard quiz game.

It could extend to beauty pageants, hair pulling, co-ed softball, knitting, and shooting snot rockets.
audible sigh…in a perfect world…in a perfect world…

The ability of the average poster to succinctly define “irony,” with pertinant examples not involving lyrics by Alanis Morrisette.

It’s a kind of metal, like goldy or bronzy.

Huh. And here I thought irony is how you eliminate something wrinkly.

No, that’s botoxy.