Is washing your hands after using the restroom entirely peer pressure??

It’s not just about touching the “pubic” area. It’s about touching any part of your body between, say, mid-thigh to mid-belly. That entire area is just covered with e.coli and other assortied nasties. (You’re soaking in it!) I get this information, of course, from Cecil’s column linked above, which should be mandatory reading for all schoolchildren.

Of course handwashing doesn’t kill 100% of everything (after all, the germs that live permanently on your mid-section don’t wash off when you take a shower) but it goes a long way towards thinning the population of what you just transfered from, say, your hips to your hands, just by the act of pulling your pants down.

I myself keep a mental list of all guys at work whom I have ever seen not washing their hands, and remember never to touch anything that belongs to them if I can avoid it. If I was a mean guy, I’d leave anonymous notes all over the office pointing the finger at the Unclean One. When I see a guy leave a stall after doing a groaning #2 (or any stall activity, for that matter) without even bothering to “pretend-wash” his hands if only for my benefit – well, let’s just say I have a pretty low opinion of that person thereafter.

Of course it’s because of these “pretend-washers” that you have to use paper towels, or your elbow, to turn off the taps after you wash your own hands. Think about it: guy smears himself with god-knows-what, guy operates the taps without using soap, guy rinses hands for exactly one second, guy operates taps again, guy dries hands on guy’s pants, guy opens door (inevitably a design where the bathroom door opens in, note, office architects*). There is now e.coli smeared all over all the surfaces I need to touch, after washing my own hands, just to turn the water off and get out of the bathroom. You better believe I’m gonna protect myself with a paper towel, ineffective as that probably is. At least I’m doing something with my hands besides wringing them.

*Bathroom doors in public places should open out, preferably with no mechanism to turn the latch, so you can just sort of lean out of the bathroom, shoulder-first. Either that, or post armed guards inside the bathroom trained in handwashing enforcement.

no, but it should be. When urine is not sterile that means you have a kidney/bladder/urinary tract infection.

Qadgop the mercotan does not ring a bell to me!

Evo

The first poster to respond, and he is a physician.

Unless dysfunction or disease exists, it should be sterile, when obtained freshly from the bladder.

“peer” pressure. :smiley:

Typically the sides of my hands brush against my inner thighs. Loads of bacteria there, too.

Well, for starters, I always wash my hands after I use the bathroom…
Secondly, most public bathrooms are cleaner than your bathroom at home. Either way, washing your hands [with or without soap: the soap mainly acts as something to add friction and take off any residues/stains] for at least 30 seconds is the suggested time for killing germs.

I am quite lax about washing my hands at home and will usually only do so if I am going to be eating something right away. At work I always wash my hands partly because I am concerned about the perceptions from my co-workers. Most people at my place of work wash their hands, and I tend to notice when someone does not. Now, in a public public restroom, I usually don’t notice or even care if the other people wash their hands, but for the same reasons (other people’s preceptions, and that often times I am in a place where I am eating). I also try to use the same paper towel to open the door when leaving as long as a receptacle is handy for me to toss the paper towel in once the door is open. If this is not possible or practical then if I have to pull the door open I will use my pinky finger to at least keep contact to a minimum. If pushing the door is necessary I will use my arm to push it open.

I almost hate to ask this, but what about oral sex? Is that a big no-no? I mean, that is direct mouth to genital (and usually the surrounding area) contact. Totally unsanitary, I guess?

Of course it’s unsanitary, that’s why it’s fun!

Actually, early in a relationship with lots of body fluid exchange, both parties may get gastro-intestinal illnesses as they get exposed to the bacterial strains of their new partner. Eventually it gets evened out and people adapt (or die). In family groups, most people share the same strains of E. coli and other intestinal/genito-urological bugs.

It’s getting exposed to a strain that’s new to you that’ll make you sick. Of course, rare individuals carry some extremely toxic strains of E. Coli or other bugs, and pass them around themselves, without getting ill, a la Typhoid Mary. But that’s the exception, not the rule.

QtM, MD

I guess that’s pretty much the whole story.

Actually the oral sex question is also discussed in Cecil’s column linked up at the top.

And…his answer explains a bit of why, like a few others have admitted (I suspect others do but won’t admit), I wash less frequently in my own home (especially, as mentioned, following those “midnight runs” to the lavatory when even turning on the light is a big deal). So here it is: Public restrooms (no baths in them so not “bathrooms”) are uses by the public, which means more germ variations. Specifically I refer to this passage in Cecil’s follow-up to the column:

In other words, in an apartment with just me and hubby residing, who share germs in much more intimate ways already, I assumed that one or both of us failing a handwash after a quick, late-night tinkle is not going to be a probable cause of death for us.

Also, I have greater control over my own lavatory so I know how clean or unclean it is as compared to any public (anyone can access) or semi-public (office facility where access is limited to select group) facility. After all, even a public restroom which is clean in appearance can be full of nasty germs. At least we’re learning more here and now, and I’m sure it will have all of us washing more frequently SOON!

evolutionbaby:

Outcast, unclean!

My female co-workers all warn the guys about another lady at work. This lady goes into the stall, does her duties, and then exits the rest room. She never washes her hands. In addition, this lady frequently complains of upset stomach and nauseau. (I wonder why) Whenever any of has has a bag of cookies, chips or pretzels and Ms. No Soap wants some we quickly shake out some for her. If she manages to get her hand in the bag we say “You know, I think I have had enough of these, why don’t you take them.” Potlucks require someone to watch to see what she brings in and then inform everyone else what dish she brought. She always has loads of her own food to take home.

That term, of course, being more appropriate, because I like to take a nap sometimes on public stalls.

What is this, the misnomer switching game?

:slight_smile:

Considering all the nasties in the world around us, why not take the opportunity to wash your hands when it arises? Sure, the nether regions are germ-filled, but so is that dallop of pus on the cube wall that you accidentially and unknowingly brushed your hand against. Somebody sneezed on that door handle. A teenager thought it was funny to spit on that handrail.

Your hands are too involved in this world, keep em clean.

If toilet tissue was a bioligical impermiable material I’d be wearing safety gear made out of it, and not latex and plastic coated polymears.

That being said, your underwear is covered in bacteria its a nice warm moist enviroment down there, same as underarms. Now throw fecal bacteria into the mix and it gets nastier.

Now lets mix in what’s on the toilet seat and what’s in the toilet water…

FYI, each time you flush the toilet you are spreading bacterium around in an 8 foot radius. Which means, yes fecal bacteria are getting in your hair when you flush (unless you put down the toilet seat, or are using your ass as a plug).

Also FYI: If you flush the toilet with the lid up in your bathroom and your tooth brush is out in the open: Guess what!?

In short: Remind me never to touch anything some of you touch:(

I think I’m just going to stop going to the bathroom. Seems easier.

Masonite, who covers his toothbrush and turns quickly AWAY from the toilet just after flushing it…

Ha ha. Actually I wrote an article on public and semi-public facilities, and the designers I interviewed emphasized that terminology.

Of course, if we use older terminology, this thread would be utterly unnecessary…as my gramma used to call them “washrooms.” Certainly you would always wash if you were visiting the washroom.

The term restrooms developed since public facilities used to include a small area with chairs or sofa for women suffering from “the vapors” (i.e. faintness due to tight corsetry) or otherwise requiring a rest.

So, I take it that a lot of people in this thread would like the ‘wave of the future’ technology which is becoming very popular in design, namely touchless fixtures.