I've just re-read Stranger in a Strange Land for the umpty-fifth time

Pretty much how I see it.

Perhaps a composite of Aimee Semple McPherson, Father Divine, Billy Sunday, [-- and/or fictional models like [url=Elmer Gantry - Wikipedia]Elmer Gantry.](]Gerald L.K. Smith[/url)

And thankfully, it got edited back in 1991, thanks to Ginny’s efforts.

I once thought about a story in which a Fair Witness was an umpire at a baseball game, with the result, of course, that no decision ever got made. It’s a textbook example of a good idea on paper taken to a nutty extreme that couldn’t work in reality.

Scarily, I have no idea whether Heinlein meant that to be true or not.

I think you mean The Door into Summer.

:smack:

This is of course over-simplistic. It’s grossly unfair to talk about “a hunk as big as a YA novel” being edited out, when in fact Heinlein shortened the book by simply tightening the prose rather than removing any action.

In short, the “expanded edition” doesn’t add much except wordier prose. Oh, there are a few scenes where there are noticeable differences, but they really are few and not particularly significant.

I’ve read both and I strongly prefer the originally-published version. It’s tighter, less self-indulgent, and it reads better.

I just finished reading Stranger for the first time yesterday and while I enjoyed it, I cannot help but think that it’s a product of its time and is subsequently “famous for being famous”.

That’s not to say that it’s a bad or unworthy novel (quite the opposite), but I just didn’t really see why it was so popular, outside of the '60s counter-culture context.

The original is 60,000 words longer. That’s as long as a YA novel. It was done by what most people call editing. I can’t imagine anyone thought he just tore out a thick handful of pages from 642 through 867. Especially anyone who tried to read his later novels when he grew powerful enough to prevent his being edited by professionals.

Which was clearly the case with The Number Of The Beast, which actually seemed (IMHO) to be mainly padding with a really good idea for a story in there somewhere.

Heinlein broke all kinds of taboos in that book, and those times were very much in love with the idea of breaking taboos. I read it for the first time when I was in seventh or eighth grade, and I got a lot of weird looks from the other kids, and a lot of strongly disapproving looks from most adults. First, most of the adults disapproved of the book itself, unless they were either in the counter culture or wanted to be. Second, because the book had characters…UNMARRIED characters…having sex, and enjoying it. Most adults felt that I was far too young to be reading adult novels at all, and this book was just utterly unsuitable for teens, let alone a preteen.

I’ve read the uncut version, and I think that some of the cuts were good, and some were not good. Certainly some of the scenes made more sense in the uncut version.

Totally agree. This remains one of only 2 novels I have started and never finished. And I’ve owned it since it was first published. Complete dreck, IMO.

SIASL was good, but not great. I agree with you here:

And I agree with Lynn that some of the things made the book better, and some just padded it out a bit.

Right; probably conflating that with The Past Through Tomorrow.

I agree with this, but I read the whole book anyway, and cogitated on it later (it certainly had potential to be a fantastic book - maybe someone will have another go at it someday).

I should mention that I read the “originally published/edited” version of Stranger, not the 1991 “Director’s Cut” version. In fact, would Stranger In A Strange Land even get published today? And more importantly, would it be regarded as A Very Important Work Of Literature if it was?

If Stranger in a Strange Land were submitted to a publishing house today, an editor would say to the author, “Um, have you been in a coma for the past forty-eight years? This sounds like a novel that was written in 1961, at the latest.”

“Time Enough for Love” is worth it just for “The Tale of the Adopted Daughter”. If that had been written as a short story or novella, it could have won a Hugo. But it buried inside a fairly ponderous book.

The only Heinlein book I have not finished is “I Will Fear No Evil”.

I just re-read Time for the Stars for maybe the fourth time since high school, and enjoyed it all over again. Telepathy, starships, sibling rivalry, tragedy, true love… good stuff!

I haven’t bothered to go back and read Stranger in a long time. I eventually grew up and found other ways to get my jollies with regard to the idea of sex. :smiley:

Podkayne is one of my favorite novels of Heinlein, even though it’s a juve. But Puppet Masters scares the willies out of me every time I read it!

That was the first Heinlein book I ever read, when I was about 11 years old. It’s still one of my favorites.