Jobs/Projects you THOUGHT would be easy

I do believe mate what you need is called a fax line manager. It detects the tones a fax makes and sends it to the appropiate port.

Speaking from experience, DON’T get too far behind in this. When was mine done? Well…about 12 hours from my eighteenth birthday…oh yeah, I LOVE being ahead of schedule on things like this. :slight_smile:

Bwahahahahah ianzin that was I have to say hilarious

We have a similer Comet near where I live and asking for help tsk don’t you know that impinges on precious standing around talking time? Conversely if you go in actually knowing what you are looking for you can’t walk 10 feet without another ‘helpful & smiling’ staff member asking if you are OK. Do these people have maximum annoyance radar?

Ah dear…I am going to go lie down, fix myself a nice last meal and then shoot myself hehe!

1. Senior HS year, Fall semester, arts and craft course. Final project had to be a children’s toy (Christmas and all that). Hmm…maybe some dominoes would be nice…ARGH!!! I should have made something easier…but hey, they are pretty and I have them with me.

2. My gator research project. “You will work making slides of alligator brains.” Hey, how bad can putting that tissue in the slide can be? Answer: It’s a job from hell…and it’s worse when you see your tissue floating around in the dyeing solution! :mad:

Throw my name in the pot along with the guys who can do the manly stuff and still know their way around a sewing machine, ironing board, kitchen and various types of needlework.(never got into needlepoint though. I did have a family friend who taught me to use her four-foot loom when I was young.)

Not a homeowner, but I handle a lot of the minor things for my landlord. When I was young I was involved in many of the home improvement projects my father started. I’ve laid tile, ceramic floor tiles are a nightmare btw, done plumbing repair including changing out toilets, phone line work, lots of various electrical tasks. Pulled stumps, pruned trees, and recently, my new bane, fencework.

Now chainlink fence is just something I won’t touch, so we don’t have to get into that. If something happens to the chainlink around here the landlord is going to have to be paying out to have it fixed. Chainlink is too much of a pain in the butt and too much can go wrong too fast. However, I have both on my lovely little hodgepodge of a residence. When we moved in, just under a year ago, the wood fence in the back was rotting off it’s posts, literally. It took one good shove to topple the gate and the section by the house. I tore out all the rotten fence sections and made a trip to the Home Despot(I don’t care if this mistake was intentional or not in Belrix’s post, it’s such a fitting nickname for the place) and get more fence sections, steel posts, gate hardware, concrete and a post-hole digger.

Things start off really well, I get the back section and the corner done, even manage to get the corner covered up by pulling a board off a strip I won’t need and nailing it over the joint where the two sections of fence meet. It looks really good. Now the hard part, the foot and a half deep section of yard between the sidewalk and the house. Short fence sections are always the hardest because there isnt’ room for multiple posts and this one is worse than most because there is the residue of the previous post there. Yep, several feet of rotting wooden post buried about in cement, accessable only through the hole in the cement that was left by the rotted upper post sections, a hole about four inch square. The lower post sections were not nearly as rotted thanks to their entombment in concrete. No other options of where to mount the post for this section of gate, of course there’s a downspout in the only other possible place. I’m going to have to dig the rotting wood out of the cement block and sink my steel post where the wooden one was.

Fast forward five months…

Chipped out another bunch of pieces of rotting wood from that hole today. Maybe made another inch worth of depth, but I’ll have to get a longer prybar soon. Only able to drive the steel post about a foot and a half into the ground, not deep enough to hang a fence on, even if I cement it into the cement block that’s already in place, there just is too much post aboveground and it can end up bending/breaking. This particular piece also has to house half of the gate mechanism, so it needs to be rock solid when the gate swings to keep it steady and level.

I’m really thinking of bringing in the heavy hitters soon. Post hole drilling machines are next on the list to clean out the remnants of the old post from the concrete. Just don’t want to have to spend over $200 on a drill and another $100 on a drill bit :smack:

Steven

Well, this isn’t home related. It happened at my last job after I first started and had been promoted once.

I was working for a major ISP and the management came up with a new idea for call center employees. The management put the idea in action and it seemed to be working well. There was one fault though. The data the reps needed was being typed in by a temp and printed out for the reps on the phones. This was not very efficent and also cost money for the temps wages. The manager of this project asked Dave, a fellow employee on my team, and I to build a database to make this easier. We said sure.

So we built a little Access database that would do all the required stuff. It took about 16 hours total for Dave and I to get it built and tested. We did the work after are normal shifts. We then took the DB to the manager and showed her what we had built. Thus began a short trip into hell.

The manager then asked if our little creation required buying seats from MS for Access on the Reps machines. The answer was yes. She then informed us that there was no way to fit that into the budget and that it had to be web based. To make a long evil story short, we built then rebuilt and rebuilt it once again. (At one point we were given our own server to work with but the IT manager wouldn’t give us root access. We fixed that by paging the foolish IT manager every 5 minutes so he could reboot the machine until he gave up and gave us root access)

About a month later we cobbled together something that worked.

I learned a valuable lesson. If you are asked to take on a project make the parameters of the project clear before you start.

Slee

Yup - it’s intentional - borrowed from a friend. I’m convinced that any Home Depot purchase must be made in even multiples of $50.00. I always walk out with $50, $100, or $200 bills, never $4.95.

-B

Have you tried a long auger bit? Perhaps you can drill enough holes in the top of the remaining post to just have to chip out small bits of connecting material.

There’s also some products that are marketed to remove tree stumps that kind of disolve the wood - they might be useful if you’re patient.

$.02,
Belrix

Oh - a business related one! Forgot about this until I read sleestak’s post.

Several years ago, I was hired by an Evil Company for no better reason than that the CEO liked the fact that I have an MBA. They actually did not have a job for me to do. So, the CEO, casting about for a purpose, decided that going “paperless” and having me drive the process would be the best possible use of my skills. Never mind that my MBA is in marketing, not databasing. So I do a bit of research on the best process for doing this, order the software and THE scanner. Yes, that’s right. One scanner. For all of the accumulated paper of a business that was seven years old. Plus, I had to enter all of the keywords, into the database; meaning I had to read every single document. Even those that weren’t important.

A year later, I was terminated from the position because I had not completed the project within a reasonable time frame. I hope they eventually sent the stuff out for a company that actually DOES that kind of thing to do, but I doubt it. Common sense was never their strong suit.

In college, my fraternity decided to embark on an ambitious project of renovating one of our houses. The plan was for it to take six, maybe eight weeks, and be done by the end of the school year. The project is still not quite done.

Oh, yeah, that was the end of the 1997-98 school year I was referring to.

The OP reminded me of when I went to the bike shop to change the bearings in my bike’s rear hub. The cog on it required three applications of the blow torch before it would come off, and took quite a bit of the threads on the hub with it. Luckily, they were able to build me a new wheel on a brand new Phil Wood hub while I waited. Mostly, that just ended up costing me a lot more than I intended, though.

Ah… Purley Way, Croydon. I have never been, but its very name conjures up in my mind those wonderful palaces talked about in the adverts for Do It All, Kingdom of Leather and PC World. Surely it is a heaven, thronged with furniture-buying angels, cherabims and seraphims on hand to search for your every requirement? I dream of Purley Way, Croydon.

Uhh…I don’t really have anything to add to the discussion at hand. I just wanted to pop in and say…

::swoon::

The things you do with curly maple, Forbin!

[sub]I really hope that was curly maple. It sure looks like it, but maybe I should put in an embarassed smiley here now and get it over with.[/sub]