John Wayne Throwdown: Rio Bravo vs. El Dorado (50 year old spoilers)

Rio Bravo for the slash: Wayne kisses Brennan’s bald head, Brennan whacks him in the butt with a broom. Clearly a long-established pattern of foreplay.

Rio Bravo was a favorite of my dad’s. I like it best for the memories it brings. And Angie Dickenson is smoking hot.

It’s Rio Bravo for me, but I love them both. The scenes that always stick in my mind are the gun fights (Yeah, I know that makes me a barbarian). But the one where Nelson tosses Wayne the Winchester, and Nelson really does draw and shoot twice while it’s in the air. I was impressed. And Stumpy blasting the guy from the jail cell…And the final dynamite scene with Stumpy throwing and Wayne and Martin shooting…Yep, as a fun shoot-um-up Western. Rio Bravo wins. Yeah… and Angie Dickinson.

The final in the trilogy was …Rio Lobo. That just sucked.

Wasn’t Bobby Vinton in two of them? The Train Robbers and Big Jake. And Fabian in North to Alaska. Thank heavens he went with Opie Cunningham in The Shootist. We’re probably lucky it wasn’t Michael Jackson.

Also, Frankie Avalon in The Alamo.:rolleyes:

I like them both, but really prefer Wayne’s character in El Dorado. He just has such a commanding presence in that movie. My favorite scene is when he brings the dead lookout-boy back to the ranch. All those gunhands around, and Wayne is in total command. “But if THIS bunch is the best you’ve got . . .” And then the way he backs his horse out. Just great.

I must go for El Dorado. Arthur Hunnicutt is from Gravely, Arkansas. :rolleyes:

It’s a shame that a young Clint Eastwood was never cast in one of Duke’s movies. I suppose he was already too big a star to play 2nd fiddle by the time True Grit was made, but he would have made that movie perfect by playing Le Boeuf.

He certainly would. I recall there was some hype over choosing Campbell who couldn’t act worth spit because he was from the same state as the author, Charles Portis. Campbell starred in the film version of Charles Portis’ Norwood.

Why the hell did I have to mention Gravely, why?:slight_smile:

Some Triva, anyone notice the Kid John Wayne shoots in El Dorado was Johnny Crawford?

That’s right J. Wayne shot Lucas McCain’s boy. The Rifleman would be a serious threat against anyone with a pistol.

The problem is they don’t have true grit in Gravely like they do in Dardanelle in Yell County Arkansas.

But they are so close.:slight_smile:

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, Le Boeuf was killed. You simply *can’t *have Eastwood killed in a movie.

[spoiler]High Plains Drifter

Gran Torino[/spoiler]

gotta go with el dorado,james caan was so superior to nelson,martin was ok he held his own but so did mitchum,nothing against dickinson but charlene holt was a truly beautiful woman

Rio Bravo. I saw it in my youth and have a fond memory of a generally good family-together time.

Kismet: Just as I opened this thread, Get Along Home, Cindy Cindy came on the radio. Rio Bravo is my all-time favorite movie.

Rio Bravo in a walk. James Caan’s character wasn’t that interesting to me, Robert Michum was great in everything he did, but Dean Martin was more interesting to me, and was great in that role. Angie Dickinson had the better role. Ricky Nelson was middlin’ in his performance (but much better than Glen Campbell in True Grit), but an interesting wild-card as a character.

Interestingly, the Sci-Fi writer Leigh Brackett wrote the screenplay for Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, and El Dorado (and several other well-known movies).

I forget where I read it (maybe in the foreword to a collection of her short stories in a library book I took out), but as I recall, she was well aware of the similarities, but that’s what they wanted her to wrote, so she wrote 'em anyway.

It’s a toss up for me. I’d watch either movie. I really prefer Walter Brennan, but for the other characters I don’t have a great preference. I don’t think either Martin or Mitchum gave their finest performances here, but they were stuck playing second fiddle to the Duke.

Angie Dickinson(b . 1931) was either twenty-seven or twenty-eight years old at the time of the filming of Rio Bravo(1959). While she’s clearly an adult and in fact had been married since 1952, the general formula for non-creepiness in romantic relations is [Elder’s Age] / 2 + 7 <= [Younger’s Age] This sets a lower bound for the elder partner’s prospects. I didn’t invent the formula, but I’ve seen it around for some time and it maps fairly cleanly to my own squick meter. I’m not saying it’s never workable to have larger differences, and it obviously doesn’t hold up when both parties are very young.

So in this case we have Wayne, 52, and Dickinson, 28. 52/2 = 26 + 7 = 33 is the lower bound for necking with the Duke at this point in life without running afoul of the creepy calculation.

Now that we’re in the future, and your own age has crept up on you, how do you feel about a 28 year old?

Enjoy,
Steven