Looking for sous vide bottom round steak advice!

I bought some bone in short ribs today. My book says 24-48 hours at 140 for medium but I’m thinking more of 132 or so. Then in the oven for about 30 minutes with bbq sauce.

Wait until you try pork loin. Good flavor and sous vide allows you to cook it without drying it out. I often buy them at the grocery store already vacuum sealed and I just drop them in the water. (I finish it in a pan with whatever sauce I’m making.)

You know, I do love pork but it’s often so dry I tend to avoid it (aside from ham, bacon, stuff like that). I’d never even thought about cooking pork chops sous vide. When I was a kid my mom occasionally made Shake n Bake port chops. I loved the mushiness of the light coat of breading, and the pork was usually quite tasty. And as an added bonus, they were the only non-chicken food us kids were allowed to pick up and eat right off the bone, which is probably 75% of my nostalgia.

Keeping in mind I’m a kitchen novice, could I replicate that using sous vide? Maybe by first cooking them in the warm water until at the right temp., then dry them off a bit, and add them to shake n bake and sear them that way? Or does the shake n bake part need to be cooked in longer, which would end up over cooking the chops?

Last night I got some strip steaks (they didn’t have any porterhouse at the deli I went to, which was a bummer), cooked seasoned them with garlic salt and pepper before vacuum sealing them. 130 degrees for an hour and they were perfect! The only issue was searing on my stove. So to rectify that I’ve ordered a high BTU blow torch off Amazon. Tuesday should be fun!

If you get a blowtorch, get a Searzall as well.

Hmmm…good question. I’ve never used Shake-n-Bake but you probably have the right idea: sous vide the chops for a few hours at least to melt the collagen (I cook the pork loin for 6-8 hours). Take them out, dry them, apply the SnB, and cook them as quick as possible while allowing the batter to cook. You’ll probably want to broil them instead of using the blow torch; I find that the blow torch will blow off any thick coating.

Meh. I got one for Christmas and have been underwhelmed with it. Torches in general aren’t as cool as they look; they take a long time to brown something, sometimes long enough that you end up overcooking the outside of the meat. I prefer a hot skillet and/or grill.