Looking for thriller novels

Another vote for Nelson DeMille. His return to Vietnam thriller, Up Country, was fascinating and terrifying. You also might like Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon series. They’re very well written, tense, exciting Israeli spy novels. Best to read them in order.

The Kill Artist
The English Assassin
The Confessor
A Death in Vienna
Prince of Fire
The Messenger
The Secret Servant
Moscow Rules

Frederick Forsyth’s The ODESSA File is a great thriller about a young German journalist hunting down a former SS man in the early 1960s. There are several very interesting layers to the book, and it’s a real page-turner.

I would also recommend Desmond Bagley if you can get hold of any. Different backgrounds, different types of story, most falling into the adventure thriller category.

My favourite might be The Tightrope Men which starts with the protagonist waking up in a strange bedroom… with a strange face!

But they’re all good. Other favourites: The Golden Keel, High Citadel, The Vivero Letter, Running Blind.

Another personal favorite - the late A.J. Quinnell. Probably best known for Man on Fire due to the movie adaptations. I’d also recommend The Mahdi and In the Name of the Father.

And a third. Hunter is one of my favorite authors, though I haven’t picked up his latest one yet, I have read all of the others. I’ve read Point of Impact a few times and have it ready to read again.

carnivorousplant - Dean Koontz and Dean R. Koontz are the same person, as well as all his pseudonyms.

I like David Morrell - The League of Night and Fog and The Brotherhood of the Rose and others.

StG

I haven’t read Morrell in years. I may have to dig up his most recent one.

Hmmm - I just finished listening to his book Vector on CD, and found a lot of the dialogue to be rather pedantic and full of words normal people don’t use. I enjoyed the tale, however.

Tess Gerritsen writes some decent mysteries, largely centered around several career women in the Boston area (a police detective and a medical examiner). I’ve enjoyed all of them so far. She has others which are not centered around those characters, and have strong medical plots (the author is/was a doctor).

Lisa Gardner also writes some good stuff. Main character also tends to be one of several females.

Siege of Silence by Quinnell is an excellent thriller. Highly recommended.

The Modesty Blaise series by Peter O’Donnell. Again a bit dated, but there is a wonderful dynamic between the two main characters. Their abilities are a bit exaggerated but they practice enough to justify it. Parts are often very funny. These boks have been described as the “get me out of here” sub-genre of the thriller category. The protagonists are usually imprisoned or surrounded and escape with great ingenuity and daring. All good escapist (!) fun.