LOTR - Gollum Golem

Well, if you want to answer objectively, sure!

But a deeper reading of JRRT’s early manuscripts, linguistic roots, and psyche will provide much more fodder for debate and speculation.

Of course! :slight_smile: But I wasn’t sure the OP realized even that… :wink:

You mean wooden FEET.

Man, no wonder the Inklings were derisive, trout smackin’ JRR around and all.

Well, you know Sauron would’ve gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those meddling hobbits.

Freddy: Let’s find out just who this spooky Sauron is!

pulls mask off

Everyone: FARMER COTTON!!

Cotton: I could have bought up the whole darn Shire once the rumors of this war got out and scared everyone into selling, then turned around and sold it all to Saruman! I’d have been RICH if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

Right, but with reference to my previous post containing a grain of truth, this wasn’t how Gollum was originally conceived. Only when LotR was being worked on did JRRT go back and decide that Gollum needed to be of hobbit-kind. Some early editions carried a picture of Gollum as some large critter with big eyes - not, however, a golem on any of the available evidence (although some inhabitants of Middle-Earth could create golems in all but name, so BOLT tells us).

The thing is, a folklorist like Tolkien surely must have known of the Hebrew golem legends. I have to wonder whether he put any thought into the similarity of names.

Probably not much. This is also the fellow who wasn’t at all disturbed that he had a region of the world named Region. It’d be less realistic, actually, if Tolkien’s invented languages and coined words didn’t contain any false friends, since all real languages seem to.

Ever since I first read The Hobbit, I’ve known what Tolkien must have meant by “Gollum”. It’s a very poor rendering in print of the swallowing sound, but it’s probably as close as you can get without recourse to weird orthographies. I can make the sound myself, but I can’t write it any better. It sounds very myuch like the sound that punctuates the Tin Man’s song in the 1939 version of The Wizard of Oz
("I hear a beat –gollum, gollum

How Sweet!

Just to register Emotion, Jealousy, Devotion…")
Oddly enough, I’ve never heard anyone using a sound even remotely like this in any adaptation of Tolkien – the Rankin-Bass stuff, the Bakshi film, Peter Jackson’s versiomn, even stage versions I’ve seen. People got no imagination.

So where do Bango and Irving fit in?

No, iron shoes, nailed to his feet.

CMC +fnord!
And I seem to recall that his father was a mudder!

asterion writes:

> What was with Tolkien coming up with Bingo as a name?

The important thing to know here is that Tolkien’s earlier drafts really weren’t as good as his published work. Polished writing didn’t just naturally flow out of Tolkien. He had to rewrite several times to make it as good as it is now. Realizing that Bingo wasn’t a well-chosen name and had to be changed was part of that necessary revising.

In the Japanese translation, he’s called Gokuro, from the onomatopoeic verb “goku”, which is to swallow, or to glug, gulp or gurgle.

I wonder if Tolkien would have retained Bingo and Marmaduke had his sequel to The Hobbit remained a fairy-tale for children as intended. Bingo and Marmaduke don’t seem inappropriate for a story that gave us Belladonna, Bungo, and Bilbo. Perhaps it was when Tolkien realized he was writing a fairy-tale for adults that he felt the need to upgrade hobbit nomenclature.

To answer the OP, I would say the resemblance between Gollum and golem is accidental. It happened by chance, as we say in Middle-earth.

Rather interestingly, P. G. Wodehouse uses the verb “gollup” in his 1929 short story “The Ordeal Of Osbert Mulliner”: ‘“Don’t gollup your food, Harold”, said the second burglar.’ This story is interesting in that scene in which it occurs, in which a timid homeowner comes home to find two Cockney burglars making free with his meat and drink, is very strongly reminiscent of the Hobbit chapter “Roast Mutton”. The two burglars, Ernest and Harold, bicker almost exactly like the Cockney trolls Tom, Bert and William, and even gnaw on legs of mutton while squabbling, as Osbert, the timid homeowner, watches trembling from behind a curtain: the situation even resolves itself in a similar manner to “Roast Mutton”, as the burglars beat each other unconscious and Osbert emerges to take the credit. It’s very difficult to read the story and think that Tolkien hadn’t read it first.