Lower-class diets in the Victorian era

Ragout…no not rag out but like the italian ragu.
A stew of crap.

From “The People of the Abyss” by Jack London.

Stews made from cheap cuts of meat and root vegetables like Lobscouse and Lancashire hotpot. Lobscouse was found all over northern Europe (and still is — it was being sold in Hamburg restaurants when we were there a few weeks ago, and it’s definitely still being eaten on Merseyside) as it was spread by sailors. Lancashire hotpot, almost always made from mutton or lamb scrag-end, was also cooked slowly in the ovens of bakeries after they had finished baking the morning bread or left on a range all day.

I’ve always thought of the stegasaurus-style pasty as a modern thing. Traditionally, they were folded over and seamed along the curved edge, like this, weren’t they?
(please don’t tell me the thing about Cornish tin miners using the edge crust for a handle isn’t a myth…)

I think you’re right. I actually linked to the pic I did as the other ones looked too much like pies. :wink:

It seems like she cut up a roast that was “medium,” and it cooked further in the pastie. I know they took quite a while to cook, so maybe the temp was around 325 degrees. (I haven’t made them in many years. If I can find the recipe I’ll put it in Cafe Society.)

I don’t think a lot of the working class people had stoves/ovens at home…they probably got by on cold foods (bread, cheese, cooked meats) and varied the routine with food cooked at the bakers.
A fair proportion of the population could afford fish and chips-as these shops were everywhere.
Did British bars/taverns/pubs offer “free lunches”? In the American cities of the post-Civil War years, most bars had a sandwich or hot food for patrons-provided you bought a drink.

Note a fairly large exception, though, for the significant proportion of working-class people who were “in service”, i.e., live-in servants in the houses of middle- or upper-class employers.

An employer’s kitchen staff cooked the meals not only for “the family” but also for themselves and all the other servants. Servants didn’t eat all the same foods as their employers, but they definitely got hot meals most of the time.

FYI, “stegosaurus” is spelled with an “o”; forget what you saw in Spielberg’s Jurassic Park.

I had Cornish pasties in Cornwall (England), and remember them as being crimped along the top. According to legend, they were indeed invented so that tin miners could bring a hearty lunch to work that they could eat with no mess.

The ones I had were packed with root vegetables and were delicious. I had them with beer in a country pub.

I would imagine if you lived in Victorian England, you would have eaten potatoes … lots and lots of potatoes!

I remember reading Silas Marner, and he spent an entire afternoon boiling a hunk of bacon on the stove.* But then, he lived in the countryside, not a filthy, overpopulated city…

*Don’t bother trying this. I did, and it sucked!

Not sure if this is considered a zombie thread but…

In Oliver Twist (published in the early Victorian era) Fagin’s gang seem to live on sausages and cheap gin.

They had beans for breakfast, water for lunch, an swell up for dinner!

Please don’t watch those assholes - they make fun of everything for television purposes. I watched the series because I do historical recreationism and specialize in cooking and while the food shown was correct, they themselves were supercilious jackasses. The books themselves are good suggestions.

I’m adding to this now that I’ve seen the OP was asking about utensils. Oysters from a shop were served in the shell with condiments, including salt vinegar and lemon. Customers were provided with a wooden fork or spike to eat with and sometimes just ate their oysters standing up at the counter.

The poor in general ate similar foods to the middle classes but often adulterated. As someone else said they ate a lot of bread and butter on which they may have spread jam, very low fruit jam, quite possibly made with artificial flavourings. One of the most peculiar jobs I have ever heard of was women employed to roll tiny wood chips between their fingers to make pretend pips for pretend raspberry jam. The rural poor of course would have had the advantage of finding free fruit in the hedgerows, especially blackberries.

Milk, especially in the cities was often watered down. people complained of London “blue” milk. Grocers in the poorer parts of town sold nasty cuts of meat and offal in tiny quantities and sausages made with all the horrid bits and a lot of other stuff that wasn’t meat at all.

Yes, because they were commonly made from ‘leftovers’.

The meat was from the roast that was cooked earller that week, so already cooked. Often the veggies (potatoes, turnips, onions) were also pre-cooked leftovers.
The good cooks had the trick of knowing how much water to add so that the contents aren’t over-cooked inside the dough.

No we don’t. Pasties are different from pies. If Americans get it wrong, that is not our fault.

Pasties are often still referred to as “Cornish pasties”. Although they are popular all over Britain today, very likely in the Victorian era they were largely confined to the Cornwall region, where, I believe, they commonly served as a sort of packed lunch for the tin miners, when that industry still flourished in that area. Actual meat pies, especially pork pies, would probably have been common in the rest of Britain (and are still quite common today).

Imagine the squawking and shrieking if some dirty forrin’ told a bunch of americans that a hamburger was just a small flat round meatloaf. That’s roughly the level of disagreement you’ll get from a brit to the pie=pasty statement.

One point I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that meat pies are generally made in a (pie) dish, but a pasty is always made on a tray.

Indeed, there are at least two national chains selling them, plus lord only knows how many independents. Needless to say, an arms race broke out years ago. Pork, apple and stuffing pasty, anyone?

http://www.thepastyshop.com/menu/
http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/menu/food/

Back on topic - I seem to remember that during this time period staff in wealthier households would sell scraps and leftovers to shopkeepers who would then in turn sell them on. So the poor might be eating second-hand food from the tables of the middle/upper classes. The cook would be expected to maintain a decent level of credit entries together with expenditures in the account book.