Mary Kay Letourneau, the school teacher of our boyhood dreams, on the streets again

Damn, Cervaise.

Coming from someone who just reread your classic The Telemarketer Speaks. I Respond thread (yes, I have it bookmarked) I am once again stunned at your turn of phrase.

I’ll just go sit over here and listen to you greater lights talk.

I’m more curious about what happened to their kids. Are they ok? Who’s raising them?

Wow, Cervaise. With the two impressive turns of phrase in this thread already, I’m already slavering over the potential pit thread this might spawn.

And nonpolar, if you want somebody to be more specific, what kunilou was getting at was that people’s reactions would be radically different if the principals involved had been an adult male teacher and a pre-teen female student.

If the genders were reversed, and if this were about a male teacher who:
[ul]
[li]went to jail for getting a 12 year old student pregnant, [/li][li]violated his parole by getting her pregnant a second time,[/li][li]and was expressing a desire to be with his victim again now that she’s of legal age,[/li][/ul]
People would be calling for his blood and writing long diatribes about the sort of painful mutilations they’d like to inflict on such a sick, sick bastard. So why is it that in these rarer instances when the pervert in question is a woman who’s abused her position of authority over minors and displayed all the stability of a paper surfboard, people are humming Hot for Teacher?

I get sick of all the “every boy’s dream” crap, but I do think it’s a bit much that she’s not allowed to see him as a condition of her parole. He’s not a kid anymore, so it ought to be his decision as well.

She was obviously wrong, but after being locked up for 7 years, he still wants to see her?
And some women complain about guys unable to committ.

Now that she’s out, and now that he’s 21, what can ya do? She’s served her time and he’s an adult now. Let 'em enjoy each other, if that’s what they both want.

Mind, I am 100% skeeved out by Mary Kay, and I think she should have been locked up till her Depends years. But the law doesn’t agree. According to the law she’s paid her debt to society and is free to do what she likes, within the law. The law permits 21-year-olds to have relationships with anyone they like.

I’m sorry she’s free – I think she’s nuts, and dangerous – but if the sentence for a sex crime is x number of years in jail, I don’t see why she needs to be punished after she’s served her time. If she’s still a danger to society, don’t free her. If she’s being freed, she should be free.

Vili Fualaau may be 21 now, but he is unemployed and told people magazine he is working on his GED. (Source: CNN.com )

Gee, for all you people out there saying “that guy’s got it made!”, I wonder if you could make a case for this causing some psychological damage. Fualaau is unemployed and didn’t graduate high school. It’s not necessarily proof, but sure seems like it opens a nice window of doubt.

It’s like they’re obsessed with each other!

By the way, if you want see some more pictures of what she looks like, she has her own website. http://www.marykayletourneau.com/photos.html

Bob McC

Cervaise, WTF? I’ve read public sources about Letourneau, nothing ever suggested violence on her part. If you think she’s killed anybody, or even done the equivalent, well, I don’t see where you get off calling anyone else nuts. Fucking just isn’t the same as murder.

KARL –

Her four oldest children are being raised by their father in Alaska. Her two daughters by Vili Fualaau are being raised by Vili’s mother in the Seattle area.

MASONITE –

Well, sort of. She’s on parole. Her debt to society hasn’t been paid in full yet. And arguably never will be – as a Level 2 sex-offender (considered at risk to re-offend) she will have to register as a sex-offender for the rest of her life.

The no-contact order is probably part of her sentence. In Washington, IME criminal sentences frequently (almost always?) include the issuance of a no-contact order requiring that the perpetrator stay away from the victim. I’m uncertain what the effect would be of the victim wanting contact with the perpetrator. I think it would depend on whether there were “legitimate penalogical” reasons to keep the two apart. I’m not sure there are in this case; it’s not like she can “reoffend” with him since he’s now an adult.

I found it interesting that the King County Sheriff’s office had made specific arrangements with her for her to come in at a particular time to register as a sex offender – come at this time, come to this entrance, etc. – in order to reduce the media circus surrounding her. Instead, she showed up at the front door unannounced (as is of course her right), but with dozens of cameras and reporters in tow. It kinda cheesed off the KCSO, and it makes me wonder whether she doesn’t like being the center of attention.

Villi has never had to actually LIVE with her, either. Let him do THAT for awhile, and I bet his song will change. Adolescent lust is quite different from mature love.

…with a woman whose sanity is debatable…

The general pattern for pedophiles–which she undeniably is–says she’ll lose interest in him and troll for another 12-year-old. Please don’t romanticize this disturbed woman.

Her website should play ‘Twice mi Age’ by Shabba Ranks while its loading.

What if she doesn’t? Should they still be kept apart?

Maybe, but you can’t know for sure. And on what basis should the boy be punished by being forbidden to meet her if he genuinely wants to? Besides, she’s the mother of his children.
I know that, if the genders had been reversed, the culprit would never have been released so quickly, and nobody would say anything positive about him, and that’s an abhorent double-standart, and all…But it doesn’t change the fact that the now adult victim shouldn’t be barred from meeting/having sex/marrying whoever he wants, including this woman. Except if you can make the case that he’s mentally unable to make a decision for himself, which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Look at the last pic on the fourth line and tell me this relationship is even remotely normal.

To be precise, Mary Kay is an ephebophile, not a pedophile: her victim, though young, was sexually mature at the time.

This is just a WAG, but I’m thinking this might be one more category where we look at male behavior, and think we know how people in that category act, regardless of gender. What do we really know about female ephebophiles (or pedophiles, for that matter)? Have enough of them been studied to reach any conclusions about their long-term behavior? Just askin’.

I may not be as well-informed about this case as I thought I was. Yes, she was wrong, legally and morally. Yes, she seems to have some mental problems that ought to be addressed. But I’ve never seen anything that indicates that she’s dangerous to others, that she’ll go after another youngster, or indeed that the boy was, in fact, abused.

Don’t get me wrong. Her act was illegal and immoral. He wasn’t a consenting adult. Her actions are and should be illegal. But is it totally impossible that he in fact wasn’t harmed by the events? Is it completely impossible for a twelve-year-old to have sex without being abused? While I agree that it should be illegal to have sex with a twelve-year-old, my answer to these questions is no. He is now 21, they have two children, and he’s trying to get to see her. Either he’s completely fucked in the head, or it wasn’t abuse in any other sense than legal.

And yes, I would say exactly the same thing if the genders were reversed. I’d still say let them meet and see what happens. The restraining order is for his benefit, but he doesn’t want it. He’s an adult now, so he should get to decide for himself.

I looked at said picture, and I didn’t notice anything I wouldn’t find normal if it has been, say, the picture of a doper’s couple.

It looks normal to me, too, if it had been a ventriliquist and his dummy.
I don’t know what to think about all this, beyond a kind of EWWW. It’s fucked up for sure, but he’s old enough now to make his own decisions. I think lawoot is right. It’ll be different for them if it’s not forbidden anymore. But hey, at least she could help him study for his GED. I just hope they don’t get their own reality show. ::shudders::

And the two kids? How old are they now? Must be a strange life for them.