Mexican food or Italian food

where is the “BOTH please” option?

I love both, but if I could have only one, I’d go Mexican. Because, fish tacos and Habenero salsa.

If you looked in my fridge with out knowing who lives there, you would no doubt come to the conclusion that a Mexican lived there. So…

But damn! What a dismal life with out Italian food.

See, if you put it that way, I’d go pizza without a second thought. I don’t much like burritos. But overall, Mexican food over Italian. This is not to say that Italian doesn’t have some of my favorite dishes. I love a great bucatini all’amatriciana and osso buco with a well-prepared risotto alla milanese is just sublime. And don’t get me started on a real Neapolitan pizza marghareta, one of life’s greatest pleasure. But I just enjoy the variety and the influences of North American, African, American, Spanish, and indigenous cuisines of Mexico even more. And, well, I love chile peppers and the wide varieties and flavors of chiles that Mexican food employs is awesome. I don’t think there’s a single cuisine that combines the different flavors of various chile peppers together better.

Italian includes Pizza. I’m originally from New Jersey, so no contest, it’s Italian in a landslide (I’ll take NJ Pizza over just about any other food out there).

I’m actually a bit surprised by how dead split this poll is. I would have guessed Italian would be winning by a 2:1 margin or so, but each time I check this thread, it seems one or the other is up just by one or two votes.

If you’d asked me 20 years ago, maybe even 10, my answer would have been “Italian! No question about it!”. But as I’ve gotten older my tastes have broadened. My answer is still “Italian”, but it’s a much, much closer contest now.

The Mississippi river will bring about the demise of the Union.

I don’t even have to wake up my second brain to answer this one. Italian by a thousand kilometers. For one thing, it’s the cuisine of my ancestors. For another, it’s like a billion times better.

The worst thing about Italian food? Five or six days later, you’re hungry again!

I was on the fence through most of this thread, and jumped the border back and forth a couple of times…but desserts clinches it. Gotta go Italian. Mexican desserts are just not my thing at all, and a life without tiramisu is a life not worth living.

I thought Italian would be the overwhelming favorite in this poll. Go figure.

Mexican. We have 2 authentic Mexican restaurants within a block and it’s hard to stay away. I do love Italian too, but it would rank 4th after Indian (and Pakistan cuisine), Mexican and Chinese. They’re all diverse countries and I like everything from every area. Except Mole. Ugh, I hate Mole.

Part of that is, I love rice in all its forms.

My answer as well.

I know, especially considering I find one is a lot easier to cook at home than the other. Just the endless variety of pastas and sauces alone, never mind pizza and gelato… (Alluded to in the above post quote.)

I second the pizza-vs-burrito cage-match. Yeah, both cuisines have lots of other delicious treats, but these are the things I crave.

And it comes down to burritos for me. We eat them about once a week, generally black beans (from dried, not canned, makes a giant difference), cheese, avocado, salsa, and whatever other stuff we have around to throw in, and it’s one of my favorite meals. I love me some pizza, but that’s a rarer treat.

I prefer Taco Bell over Domino’s.

What’s the point in finding out that a lot of people like both? I know that already. Putting in a “Both” option would have rendered the voting to 90 Both, 10 Italian, 10 Mexican, and 5 neither… which tells us nothing.

However, by leaving that option out, we’re finding that the preferences are surprisingly (to me and others) even - I would have thought Italian would have been up 70/30, and not the 50/50 race it’s been.

There is one for “neither” because some people might not like either of them. But if you like one, or both, you’re asked to decide.

Did you just use the phrase “jumped the border” in a discussion about Mexican food? :wink:

You’re punny!

I love both but I would have to pick Mexican!

Having just got back from two weeks in Mexico, I’ll be happy not to eat Mexican for about 6 months. Having been to Italy every year for the last twenty, I never say the same about Italian food. So, Italian. For the quality of the ingredients alone.

I’m not comparing American Mexican with American Italian as I’m not familiar with either. So not sure my opinion would be different in that case.