Miracle Fruit! (Or holy crap this tastes like awesome)

I’m also intrigued. If you find some, I think we should center a Dopefest around it.

It sounds interesting, and I’d like to try it only because of that, but… isn’t bitterness the whole point of Guinness? If you want something sweet, why not drink rootbeer?

Miracle Fruit grower in Florida–mentioned in the NPR story and my other link:

**Curtis Mozie 410 SW 29th Terrace Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1-954-587-3766
Mobile: +1-954-270-7884
pearlcurtmozie (at) bellsouth dot net
Miracle fruit trees, fruit, and seeds or seedlings available by request.**

He posted this on a board himself and said people could pass it on so I don’t think it’s wrong to re-post here. I’ve sent him an email asking if he sells the fruit dried (they don’t keep well) and/or has a Web site.

Well, IIRC, it’s room temperature, and specifically Irish pub cellar room temperature, not Southern US room temperature, so some cooling may be required.

Sounds like a plan. I haven’t looked yet (may have to have some shipped), but let’s do it. We can document the experience for the rest of the Dope.

I completely agree (although it sounds like it’s been “documented” by others).

Definitely have to bookmark this thread…

I looked at the sites linked in this thread and the prices are quite high for so little. I’d like enough for me and a couple of people to try even once but that would set me back about $20 for 5 grams.

The German language Wikipedia article informs that in the US the Food and Drug Administration does not permit the marketing of Miraculin, the glycoprotein that is responsible for the gustatory effects of the miracle fruit. This information is not present in the English language Wikipedia article

In the last 20 years, the served temperature of Guinness has dropped by about 4C, to make it competitive with lagers in the youth market - it works. Cold Guinness is good.

If you take something with metallic iron or copper in it, like a clean penny, and suck it, everything afterwards tastes really sweet. I wonder if “Miraculin” :dubious: is something to do with that effect?

I don’t think so - miraculin is a protein.

If I hadn’t just drained my PayPal account, I’d be ordering some of this stuff today - not because I dislike the bitterness of Guinness or the acidity of lemons, but because it’s too interesting a taste experience to pass up.

Curtis Mozie’s Web site: http://www.miraclefruitman.com/

It’s pretty expensive - $1.80 per fruit. I haven’t looked around enough to know if it’s possible to buy them dried, which would keep longer.

Be aware that Hot Chocolate’s “You Sexy Thing” is going to start playing a couple of seconds after opening the site.

The site is kind of funny in a way. Read the faq: I especially like the succinct answer to #2. :slight_smile:

You, sir or madam, are just awesome in your genius!!!11!!

bacon, bacon, bacon