"Money talks, bullshit walks."

Or a statement of credit from your bank verifying that they will supply the funding.

Money talks, bullshit walks, that is how life goes.
I believe to mean: Donald Trump For President

Moderator Note

Welcome to the SDMB, parsonhenry1957@yahoo.com.

Please note that this thread dates back to 2006. Many of the original thread participants are no longer around to read or comment on your reply.

Also note that we have a rule against political jabs in the General Questions forum. From the General Questions Rules & FAQs sticky at the top of this forum:

Political comments are allowed in certain other forums. See each forum description for details of what the forum is about.

But it can’t touch my three lock box.
Long live Sammy Hagar

Money talks, bullshit
Walks like an Egyptian – hey,
I made a haiku!

I know this is a zombie and all, but if I have my dates right, the usage of the phrase in this here song by Trooper predates This Is Spinal Tap by two years. I wondered at the time whether Trooper would have been big enough for the line in Spinal Tap to be a reference to the song.

Useful re-amination - cos it looks like I’ve been totally misinterpreting this phrase. I’ve always took it as describing the power of money to breathe life into things totally lacking in credibility.
e.g.
Can you believe we’ve got to go to that 6-sigma training day tomorrow? Yeah, I heard the company got a staff-development grant from the government. I guess money talks, bullshit walks.*

So ignorance fought :slight_smile: It’s not a common phrase in the UK, so I doubt I’ve ever heard someone say it IRL, probably read it and made up my own meaning.

Our alternate phrase (uttered in Tonto voice) is: Talk Cheap, Take Money buy Whiskey.

A real McCoy who backs up their words with actions “walks the walk”. One who handles their bidness “talks the talk” and “walks the walk”. To me, “walking” suggests a [positive] bias towards action.

Which is why “bullshit walks” having a negative connotation is so confusing.

What? I can’t even.

“Shit or get off the pot” seems to mean basically the same thing.

A bullshitter is somebody who “talks the talk”. Somebody who actually gets things done “walks the walk”. That’s bog standard US English idiom.

It’s completely unrelated to “money talks; bullshit walks”. Which is also bog standard US English idiom.

But **iceiso **is correct that in the two phrases “walking” has opposite connotations. In one phrase it’s successfuly being a doer of deeds; in the other it’s walking away empty handed when your BS is exposed. Which doubtless makes all this confusing to non-US-English speakers.

They’re both similar to the idiom “all hat; no cattle” historically used to describe blowhards in Texas & similar places.

In the late 90’s in a London nightclub I was talking to a an an Italian man who was a Harvard alumnus. As you can guess from the previous sentence, he had been quite a few places in the world. He used the phrase “money talks, bullshit walks,” to describe the general culture of America.

In the context he was using it though, it meant something a little bit different from what has been said previously in this thread. What he was trying to describe is how in America the only thing that really matters is how much money you have; not the place you are from, the family you come from, the school you went to etc. He compared it specifically to Italy, where coming from a “good” family was very important. He was not saying money wasn’t important other places - it is of course important everywhere - just that in the US it was a significantly more important determiner of class and rank than any other place he had been.