Motion sickness poll

Only from reading in the car. And I once got a feeling of it from the Zipper, which was an awful roller coaster (and I love rides).

I don’t know I’d be on a boat on rough waters, haven’t done anything more adventuresome than a water taxi since I was about 6. But I will get queasy on some mass transit, especially if I try to read (dammit). Never to the point of no return, fortunately.

The three times I’ve actually thrown up due to motion sickness were in a car (twice) and on an amusement park ride (once); I’ve felt pretty queasy after a jaunt on the Tilt-A-Whirl at Hersheypark (now called the Hurl-A-Whirl, even though I didn’t actually hurl). Roller coasters do NOT bother me, however - I’ve been known to ride those to settle my stomach - seriously :).

I really only had motion-sickness once, on a rough plane ride from Seattle to Anchorage. But since the chemo, I get nauseous much easier, and can’t watch the handheld-camera movies at all, more from dizziness and headaches than motion sickness.

I’ve thrown up a few times in the car as a child, or next to the car. The one I remember most vividly was being in the car with a family friend who I had a crush on - he was fifteen years older than me, so it wasn’t going anywhere - and throwing up in his lap.

Le sigh.

I’ve gotten motion sickness on a helicopter (but only while trying to videotape passing scenery) and on a ferris wheel (while just sitting there, looking.)

NOT in a P-51 Mustang doing snap rolls 50 feet over the surface of a lake, or a Boeing N2S3 doing a hammerhead stall, though.

Nor in a roller coaster doing a triple loop.

Nor on a small fishing boat riding out 15 foot swells.

Go figure.

Car
Plane
Boat
Carnival ride

And…first person shooter-type video games

I had a disastrous deep-sea fishing trip once when I was 12 or so. Puked my guts out almost the entire time.

Been fine ever since then. Cars, planes, that one helicopter ride at the air show, roller coasters (though I did almost pass out on Superman: Ride of Steel on those tight double loops near the end), even been back out on that same deep-sea fishing boat in worse conditions than that first time and was perfectly fine. Funny.

I used to get it from reading in the back seat of a car when I was a kid. Haven’t ridden in the back for a while, so I don’t know if I still do.

I get motion sick from 3D and I-MAX films, without fail. I also get motion sick from many “shaky-cam” films, including Cloverfield, and some video games (Morrowind, any tight mazes in EverQuest, some others).

I’ve gotten motion sick while riding on a boat, but as the ride continued I got over it. I didn’t throw up, but it was touch and go for awhile. The sea was pretty choppy, though that didn’t really seem to make much difference–it was just as bad on normal rolling ocean than choppy. I think it took an hour or two before I got my “sea legs” and from that point I was cheerfully watching them gut fish (it was a fishing field trip with some classmates in school) without a hint of nausea. I haven’t been on a boat since then, though, so I have no idea how I’d react now.

Recently I got motion sick (again queasy/lightheaded–I quit before I found out if it would have gotten worse) playing Bioshock. I don’t think I had the hang of the controller, because all the pigeon head-bobbing of the movement just icked me right out. I’d like to finish the game, but I won’t be able to until I can figure out how to just move in a straight line without the “pitch forward, right myself, pitch forward, right myself” unevenness.

Other: the only thing that I get motion sickness from are first-person perspective video games.

Crap, forgot about this. Same. :mad:
Edit…Ok, apparantly there are a lot of folks who get ‘motionsick’ from certain visual effects.
Regarding the video games, what is causing this, exactly?

I wish I knew. I’m fine in cars and buses even reading, and also fine on boats, roller coasters and trains, but movies like the first Paranormal Activity do my stomach in.

Motion sickness results from a disconnect between the motion you are seeing and the motion you are feeling. In the case of a kid reading in the back seat of the car, he is looking at something still (the book), but feeling the motion of the car. In the case of the video game, you are looking at something moving, but not feeling motion.

Motion sickness has been one of the few absolute constants in my life. Many of my earliest memories involve the phrase “Mama pull over” or “Somebody roll down the window.” Planes, trains, boats, cars, carnival rides, and even sitting at the railroad tracks watching a train pass have all gotten to me at some point. I absolutely have to looks out a window at all times when a vehicle is in motion: no reading, texting, dialing the phone, looking down to change the radio or find something on the floor. I hate carsickness!

Yeah, that describes me to a T. I used to take the L (Chicago subway) to work; when I’d get an engineer who was very ham-handed with the throttle and the brake (which seemed to happen about once a week), I’d nearly barf.

If I read for more than a couple of minutes in a car I’ll be miserable. Sucks considering a trip home to Kentucky is a 14 hour drive.

This poll reads a bit like “Green Eggs and Ham.” In a car! In a car! Have you hurled in a car?

As for me, never-to-nearly-never. All throughout my childhood, people kept trying to convince me that I should experience motion sickness. “Don’t read in the car, you’ll get motion sick!” “You better take dramamine before you go on that boat!” “Don’t ride that roller coaster!” and etc. Yet, with all this hype about motion sickness, it never happened to me.

Strangely, the one thing that does make me feel slightly dizzy is Google Street View. You know when you click ahead on the street and all the buildings rush by? Whoooa…

Never, unless maybe you count feeling kind of nauseated after getting off a spinning swivel chair. But FPSes, cars, carnival rides, boats, planes, nothing bothers me much. I absolutely adored stretching out on the back seat of the family van and reading or playing with the Gameboy on long road trips when I was a kid.

I used to get motion sick in the car, though I don’t think I ever actually threw up. I’m OK now so long as I don’t get too hot. The Zipper than Anaamika mentioned is the one carnival ride that made me lose my breakfast, but virtually anything with rotational motion makes me sick (tilt-a-whirl, scrambler, spider, carousel). I have to be very careful on the playground swings as well. I’m OK on a pontoon boat, but the one time I was out on a speed boat on a choppy lake I was a little green around the gills.

When I travel, I barf violently and repeatedly. I know now to get myself all ready with barf bags but in the past I’ve showered my fellow travelers with vomit. I try to minimize the damage by not eating when I travel and letting the person beside me know that should I start to feel bad, don’t talk to me, just let me try to concentrate on not spewing all over.

I’m a joy to travel with. :frowning: