Movie Snobs: What Popular Movies Are Fashionable to Dislike But You Still Do?

Crash
Titanic
The English Patient

Looks like I hit the trifecta!

Neither was an especially bad film on their own, they just were not as great as Costner thought and were massive financial failures. I liked to Postman okay, it was just way longer than it needed to be.

The Matrix.

I’m with everyone else on Reloaded and Revolutions, but the first movie ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Walt Disney’s Alice In Wonderland

Blair Witch Project seems to get dumped on for being popular. Ditto Crash which I thought was really good.

I still don’t understand the hate for Dances with Wolves.

People hate on The Matrix? It was doing pretty well on the “best film of the 90’s thread”.

And on the opposite side, why are we talking about The Postman? I liked it too, but I can hardly see how it can be called a popular movie.

The Thin Red Line seems to suffer from some type of meta-meta snobbery. It wasn’t a commercial success, but was well reviewed and seems to be made to appeal to snobs. But if your a snob, you don’t want to like what’s predictable or popular, even amongst snobs, so it gets dumped on, around here anyways.

People generally dislike Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, don’t they (Burton version)? I actually enjoy it much more than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I REALLY dislike Charlie in the first movie and I’m not clear on why he’s more worthy than the other kids - but that’s another rant.

In the Burton version, perhaps the Willy and his dad aspect was a bit unnecessary - although I don’t really mind it, overall I much prefer it.

If you want to go on a tangent, I can help you with that last point. I started a thread about it once. Charlie is basically white trash.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=364853&highlight=charlie+chocolate+factory

I’ve certainly seen quite a lot of snobby disapproval of it (often coupled with anime-elitism - i.e. “It’s just a poor take-off of Ghost in the shell”)

Oh really? :dubious:

Of course, there is the other possibility: that it really does suck (said by someone who saw it before it was released so had no word-of-mouth or critics’ opinions to influence him beforehand)

Yes, mostly for Tim Burton’s decision to characterise Willy Wonka as Michael Jackson-esque, I think.

BTW, you transposed the titles. The musical version with Gene Wilder was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Tim Burton’s version was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

lol, very nice. I completely agree.

The Burton version, which is not a remake of the Wilder version but an adaptation of the source material, is Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. The Wilder version is Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

I too love the Burton/Depp version. I have never been able to sit through the Wilder version. Few things are more odious than that farking “Candyman” song.

Dances with Wolves is one of my favorite movies, especially the soundtrack.

Like most folks here, I love the three Lord of the Rings movie, but I’m going against the grain by saying Return of the King was my favorite of the three.

Well, when anybody even mentions Adventures of Ford Fairlane, they diss it. I Love it.
Not that it didn’t need some editing, bt it was pretty amusing.
Forrest Gump.
Armageddon. It was crap, but I liked it.
All Bruce Willis movies, except for Hudson Hawk.

Hmmm…that’s about it.

for now.

hh

Dang, can’t believe I messed that up…ah well.

I liked Adventures of Ford Fairlane, good popcorn flick. Love the car.

Notting Hill and About a Boy are both good movies. Love Actually, I’d take a railroad spike in the eye first.

I’ll guess I’ll throw in 300.

Yeah, it’s over-stylized, dumb, and (under some interpretations) a bit racist.

But God damn it, it’s fucking awesome.

I’m gonna say Mars Attacks. It cracks me up.

I still love Last Action Hero and think it’s a great solid 90s action movie with a clever premise. The movie was savaged by critics and still doesn’t seem to get any respect. C’mon, it’s got lovingly crafted shout-outs to half of Hollywood’s output from Bogart to the T-1000, the villains are so memorable (who can forget Charles Dance as Benedict with his glass eye), the kid sidekick is actually quick-witted and not annoying, and it’s classic Ah-nuld.

Long Kiss Goodnight bombed hard at the box office, but I put it up with LAH as one of the best full-throttle action movies of the 90s. The dialogue is snappy, Samuel L. Jackson is amazing as always, and Geena Davis is just brutal as the amnesiac assassin-turned-suburban mom. I rank it lower than LAH only because the little kid is annoying and lisps a lot.

I thought The Postman was shit, but I quite enjoyed Waterworld.