Movies Where the Wrong Actor/Actress Won The Oscar

Like MovieMogul, I disagree strongly. Landau won for playing Bela Lugosi (and he was fantastic), not for a career the most memorable roles of which were on TV.

I didn’t care for Philadelphia, but if you want to give anyone an award, it’s Denzel Washington, not Tom Hanks. He was the guy that changed, that made you like an ambulance-chaser lawyer.

Wood don’t jiggle like that.

I say only half-jokingly I think she won for her performance in The Hunger Games. You can’t give an Oscar to a movie like that (except cinematography or music score or something), so Silver Linings Playbook was a makeup call.

This was what I came in here to say. After watching the movie, I was convinced that Denzel would win the Oscar. I was very surprised that it went to Tom Hanks.

I’ve never seen the movie, but even before it was released, I think EVERYONE knew Hanks would get the Oscar, because it was a “courageous” performance.

She didn’t win for HG, but being in a huge box-office success didn’t hurt show that she wasn’t just an arthouse ingenue but had a larger industry foothold that the Academy thought was worth recognizing (remember, this was her second nomination, after Winter’s Bone).

That’s a trick of my imagination, I guess. I thought Oprah won Best Supporting.

Agreed, although her breasts certainly deserved a Best Supporting Actor nomination…

No one in the film Cleopatra won anything…well, maybe cinematography or something, but everyone in the business at the time swore to me that Roddy McDowell should have gotten one if only his role wouldn’t have been virtually cut out of the film.

Actually, the story goes that the studio submitted his role as Best Actor in all the FYC (For Your Consideration) ads, so while the Academy membership can go whichever category they please, all the loyalists at Fox would’ve gone the way the studio wanted, in a far more competitive field, tilting the odds against him.

If I am not mistaken, “The Color Purple” holds the all time record for the most nominations without winning any of them.

I think an argument could be made that Clint Eastwood’s performance in “Unforgiven” was more impressive than Gene Hackman’s. Hackman won the Oscar, though.

I was also of the opinion that Joaquin Phoenix was better in “Walk the Line” than Reese Witherspoon was.

I thought that Eddie Redmayne, in Les Miserables, was equally deserving and had a bigger role than Anne Hathaway, but he didn’t get an Academy nomination.

You’re not mistaken, but ***The Color Purple ***shares that distinction with the ballet picture The Turning Point. Both movies got 11 nominations but didn’t win any Oscars.

Anne Hathaway did a great job with her role and I have absolutely no problem with her winning the Oscar- but I thought her co-star, Samantha Barks, was equally wonderful as Eponine, and got almost no attention.

Oh, how did I forget? Even though I said earlier that Marlon Brando got an Oscar his co-star Al Pacino deserved, I should add that Brando delivered the best performance by far in*** Streetcar Named Desire***, and yet he was about the only person in the cast who DIDN’T win an Oscar! Seriously, his co-stars Vivien Leigh, Karl Malden and Kim Hunter all won Oscars, while Brando lost out to Humphrey Bogart, who got a sort of lifetime achievement award for ***The African Queen. ***

Mind you, Bogart WAS great in that film, as in many others, and I’m fine with him winning.

Yes.