Movies you'd have to be kind of an asshole not to like

Does it make you an asshole if upon hearing about the movie it sounds completely uninteresting or even stupid? Because a lot of the movies mentioned in this thread I have absolutely no interest in.

Crash.

Birdcage.

Maybe she would have liked it better had it been remade by two video store clerks.

Anybody who didn’t like Anal Bukkake Whores XIV

I’m thinking *Sophie’s Choice * should probably be on this list.

North by Northwest

The General

To Have and Have Not

Bringing up Baby.

The Fall

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Return to Oz

Local Hero

Never Cry Wolf

Titanic

Brokeback Mountain

Wings of Desire

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the RIng

Moulin Rouge!

Oh yeah. It doesn’t happen often, but it happens. I once had an asshole of a customer enter the door ranting and cussing, then throw a videotape at my head, telling me he wasn’t going to pay for such a “dumb fucking movie!” The movie? Dumb and Dumber.

IANTOP, but I don’t think so, no. At least, two of my additions (Iron Giant and Brian’s Song) are sort of stealth sucker punches - they sound lame as all get-out, but if you actually *watch *them and don’t find your “allergies” acting up, you’re kind of an asshole.

Then I wear my Badge of Assholery proudly. I didn’t see any of the Star Wars films until years later, on HBO I believe. I was, as intelligent teens often are, resentful of the success of a LCD pseudo-sci-fi (skiffy) movie, having read many great works of science fiction relentlessly through my teen years. Since then I’ve mellowed out a bit, and can enjoy them for what they are (in small doses), but they will never be on my Top 250 list.

This plus Holiday and The Philadelphia Story.

Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

See, I’ve learned that no such thing exists. There are movies I love, movies I can’t imagine anyone not liking, yet I know there are people out there who don’t. Their reasons may seem petty or stupid to me (just like mine might to you about the truly detestable Billy Elliott), but this runs into the whole Litmus Test school of critique evaluation. There are critics I love who seem to sometimes “miss the mark” about movies I admire or vice versa, but I’ve learned that movies I love are simply movies I love, and while I may be an ambassador for those films, I don’t need other people to love them (though it brings me great joy if they do).

I couldn’t trust anyone who isn’t charmed by Overboard.

With Goldie Hawn as an amnesiac heiress and Kurt Russell as a carpenter who, to avenge himself on her for being a bitch, manipulates her into believing that she’s his wife and the mother of his children? Yeah, that’s a charmer all right.

If you don’t like Field of Dreams, you’re just not a human being. :smiley:

My dislike of this movie is fully justified.
That said, I don’t get people who aren’t charmed by The Fifth Element.

*Little Miss Sunshine

Casablanca

Roman Holiday

Some Like It Hot

Singin’ In the Rain

White Christmas

Caddyshack

A Fish Called Wanda*
…and many more