Mr. Shoe is in the hospital

Praying for both of you, Shoe.

Lifting you both up in positive thought and healing light and all that woo woo voodoo. I hope you can get some decent sleep; it’s not disloyal to him to take care of yourself in order to stay strong for both of you.

Ah, I knew I shouldn’t have gone directly to bed after the 8pm visiting hours. Now it’s 3 am and here I am. Big ol’ Alfie is getting scritches galore, though. Wish you could hear him growlsnorepurring.

Called the ICU b/c really, what else do they have to do besides chat on the phone? and was told “no change.” No better, no worse. It seems like he rallies each afternoon - 1 step forward - and then gets worse in the middle of the night - 3 steps back - so no news is good news, I suppose.

False alarm on the rain, though, which is really no omen. Typical weather pattern for this area for this time of year.

HA! ! I re-read this several times - it is quite a comforting post, thank you - and just now blearily noticed the username/post combo. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking lots of healing thoughts for Mr. Shoe.

The tube that went into his neck was probably a Swan-Ganz catheter. It goes into a large vein in the neck or chest. It’s threaded into the pulmonary artery. It monitors the pressures in all the chambers in the heart.

One thing I’ll say is that if he’s putting out good urine, his heart is still doing its work. That’s a better indicater of stability than all the other tubes and wires combined.

I once had a wise instructor tell me to always believe what you see in the patient, not the monitors.
If you still need to know what all the “stuff” is, feel free to PM me.

Don’t worry about calling at 3:00AM. That’s about the slowest time in the ICU. Avoid calling at shift change, and an hour before and after. That’s the busiest. Since his aunt is a nurse, you might give permission for her to talk with them on the phone too. They may give a little clearer report to her, then she can tell you in human language.

Remember, Hope is the thing with feathers…

And the last thing you lose. I’m hoping you can fulfill your promise to stop calling him Schmoopie soon… can us Dopers call him Schmoopie once he recovers? Someone ought’a.

So sorry to hear this. Add my good thoughts to everyone elses.

That sounds like the body’s normal rhythm. I won’t tell you not to worry, because it must be maddening, but it’s common. {{{purplehorseshoe}}}

I’ve known a couple of people who became critically ill with WNV, spending time in an ICU, who later recovered and are still doing fine. Sending hopeful thoughts and good wishes your way.

I’m also in the general area. If there’s anything at all that I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Until then, sending all of my good thoughts and prayers to you both. Hang in there. I can’t imagine how terrifying and difficult this is. {{{HUGS}}}

Good urine is a good sign. It’s not a guarantee, but it’s definitely a good sign.

Oh god, I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Sending healing thoughts Schmoopies way!

Back at work - feels nice to be back in a familiar routine and away from hospital stuff for just a bit. Also, my co-workers got me some flowers (potted! so I can plant them! :slight_smile: ) and a big bag of dark chocolate M&Ms. :smiley: Saw My Shoe twice today already, and will be back on the next visiting hour block. He has <drum roll> been cleared to start getting protein + vitamins + minerals via feeding tube! His BP remains stable, for now, without any extra meds for that, so for now, we’re just in waiting mode again. But I do hope that getting a little nutrition (his dad, to the nurse: “He likes BBQ flavor”) will give him a bit more energy to fight a little harder.

Please add my good vibes to the pile. I’m wishing the best for you.

I’ll be thinking of you too. Your OP brought a lump to my throat. be brave.

The good thing about missing the thread for a while is you can skip to the end and see “He’s starting to get better!” right away. I wish both of you had had that luxury, must have been awful and terrifying. Best wishes for further, fast recovery!

It’s surprising how long it’s taken the medical community to figure out that sick people need nutrition. It’s really common sense, but until just a few years ago, ICU patients didn’t get anything.

I’m so glad he’s doing better.

I’m so sorry you are going through this and I hope he recovers quickly and completely. Sending many good thoughts your way.

It sounds like they were talking about cardiac output, which is the measurement used to determine the stage of heart failure. It may have been expressed as what %age of normal flow was going through the aorta, but it was ultimately a measure of how much was being pumped out of the heart during the ventricular contraction. Heart failure has several causes, one of which is pericarditis, where the perdicardiac space (between the tissue “bag” - the pericardium - and the heart itself) fills with fluid and squeezes the heart, reducing its ability to pump out blood. It’s similar to trying to breathe when someone is giving you a bear-hug. Diuretics and digoxin or beta-blockers are usually given to improve cardiac output, but with complications, Mr. Shoe’s doctors may have elected to do something else.

Nursing shift change is typically at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, so following picunurse’s advice, avoid calling between 6-8 am/pm.

As much as people talk about “This/that will work for that/this condition”, everyone ultimately knows that nothing is ever 100% guaranteed. It is less comforting to hear a doctor talking in terms of probabilities, but that is a more honest answer. Families get a jarring reminder of this when they sign releases that talk about the success/failure/complication rate of certain procedures or treatment protocols. If you can think in and deal with probabilities, it may be easier in the long run to accept a particular outcome than to go from “This treatment works and is used often” to “there’s nothing more we can do.”

Sending you all the healing rain vibes I can muster. Hang in there…

I am so sorry to hear your news!

I know that someone gave you a good medical explanation for the line in the neck (a better explanation than I can give), so I will only add that from my experience, it was relatively painless and it was a blessing, because it meant much less pain and trauma when they had to give me meds or take blood.

You did not ask for advice and so if this crosses a line, I offer an apology but: this is a time you must also look after you. It is a sad and scary time and so lean on any support group you have.

Also, when he is awake, it is a lonely and scary time for him. (Even if he won’t say it) When friends ask what they can do, tell them he will often be lonely and afraid and showing up to visit is one of the best things that can be done (when he is permitted visitors.)

Everyone comes at night, but the patients are alone all day too. If they can, they should try to go at all hours, or call during the day. (Again, when he is well enough and permitted calls and visitors.) (Don’t think patients don’t appreciate the night-time visits - they do! We know it is hard to get away during the day, but if it can be done, it will be an added blessing.)

Sending healing thoughts his way - and supporting thoughts yours!