Multipe pens used when presidents sign bills

At one time my late father’s lawyer used to make a habit of showing people (and selling it to them) “the actual pen used to sign the surrender at Lüneburg Heath” (he had commanded the HQ defence company at Montgomery’s headquarters). He had a whole bunch of them in his desk.

It was obviously a joke. Personally, I’d want to have one of the Hussein pens. Probably worth more on e-bay.

It is, however, gauche.:wink:

Based on the smilies, I’m sure the remark was meant as a joke.

At first I thought the title said “multiple penis’s on presidents,” and I thought maybe Clinton was up to some new shenanigans.

So did I, but note that the Japanese had no intention of leaving souvenirs, ignoring the pens on the table and using their own, then re-pocketing them as if they expected them to be grabbed out of their hands. The keepsake pens were only used by MacArthur

video at 4:45

Here’s the signature. Actually looks pretty good, considering, except for the mildly retarded look “O”.

I certainly agree that they probably were aware of what trophies the pens would be, and would prefer to not provide them. However it is also a very ingrained Japanese habit to be prepared for any circumstance (such as those uncouth Americans failing to provide them with pens, either through oversight or as a last minor indignity) and a big loss of face to be caught out. So whether or not they were aware of the first circumstance, they would definitely be aware of the second. /minor hijack

I’m ambidextrous. That means I’m in my whole mind.:smiley:

Why all the pens?
From Yahoo:

If one pen is mightier than the sword, then President Obama was armed to the hilt on Tuesday. The big cheese had 20 pens at his disposal. As viewers watched the president sign the bill, they couldn’t help but notice that he kept switching writing instruments. What the heck for?
According to Reuters, President Obama used the different pens as a way to pay thanks to those allies who helped him push the law through. The various pens will be distributed as souvenirs, mainly to key legislators. Sure beats a keychain

This video was just posted to Facebook today. Apparently it went from 20 to 22 pens at the last minute. And the current record seems to be 40 by Clinton.

So its not even one pen per letter. Given he didn’t use his middle name, he’s gotta split each letter up into two parts and do each with a seperate pen.

Poor guy, no stage of passing this Health Care thing has been easy. Even putting his name on it.

Seriously? That sounds like something you would do with a kindergarten class.

I can see the headline now:-

:stuck_out_tongue:

[insane junior mod]No politics in GQ![/insane junior mod]
:stuck_out_tongue:

Naw – it’s only the first signature that has legal effect, so if a pen is authentically used to sign legislation, it would have to be used on the first (and only) signature. After that, they’d just be autographs.

–Cliffy

Actually, it’s pretty routine. When I worked at an advocacy group we had a hand in a number of pieces of legislation and would be invited to bill signings a couple times a year at the state capitol. The governor would sign each bill (usually one pen for each letter of his name) and the ceremonial pens would be distributed to the legislators and groups like ours.

The only difference is our governor usually signed all the legislation in big bunches, so it would be photo opportunity/sign the bill, then bring in the next group, photo opportunity/sign the bill, repeat as needed.

Just because it’s routine doesn’t make it any less juvenile. I mean really, you want to have “the pen” so bad that you make the executive sign every letter of his name with a different one? Do they sell these things on eBay or what?

Or it was another James Buchanan thread.

Actually, we put a copy of each bill and the pen in a nice frame and hung them on the walls of our office.

It’s an advocacy group. Getting bills passed and signed into law is what it DOES. To you, it may be juvenile, but it’s no more juvenile than having a photo of the chairman posing with the lieutenant governor (which we didn’t like to do) or something lke that.

Who was the first president to use more than one pen? I remember news reports of Johnson doing it for some special legislation, I forget which one, but he probably did it for all important bills. I’d be surprised if he were the first.