Murdered Celebrities

Adolph “Dino Bravo” Bresciano

For those who don’t know he was a wrestler who was skimming from a smuggling network. If I recall, he was executed in his house.

That’s the only one I can think of that isn’t on the list.

I forgot aboutNancy Spungen (Sid Vicious’ girlfriend). The story is she was stabbed by sid when they were both high but, if I remember correctly, they were investigating Sid at the time of his death.

I wasn’t around at this time though, was she a celebrity before she died?

Another wrestler who ran afoul of a “mob” was Japanese favorite Rikidozan in 1963. Bruiser Brody was also murdered, but I think the suspect was acquitted.

Peter Ivers.

Ross McWhirter (One of twin brothers that founded the Guiness Book Of Records and one of the presenters of the Record Breakers TV show.)

Christopher Marlowe

Policial commentator Barbara Olson and TV executive producer and show creator David Angell were both murdered on September 11, 2001.

Hear! Hear! Excellent point.

Daniel Pearl, journalist for either the NYT or Washington Times, IIRC.

Would assassinations count? Like JFK and MLK?

Yes, of course, but I had wanted to keep the political figures and heads of state types out of the list if possible. MLK is in the gray area of not being quite political, so I suppose he and others in the political fringe zones might be considered more “celebrities” than “political figures.”

Judgment call, I suppose.

Walter Scott. Lead singer for Bob Kuban & the In-Men in their #12 single, “The Cheater.” Kinda weird story.

One not mentioned on Wikipedia was minor actress Claire Delmar, who can be seen in the famous tango clip with Rudolph Valentino from Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Oh yeah, and how about The Black Dahlia, Elizabeth Short?

I think she’d also count as “only famous because she was murdered.”

Actually, only famous because she was murdered in such an extravagent way . . .

Someone murdered entire bands?

And left Starship alive?

What a world, what a world…

The Wall Street Journal.

Joe Orton

I sit corrected.

Would you include artists, etc.?

What about fashion designer Gianni Versace?