Music groups with openly gay members?

I’d never heard that before. Interesting.

The Google Ads seem quite convinced that Huey Lewis is gay.

So nobody’s got the Buzzcocks yet? Pete Shelley is openly gay, Howard Devoto is assumed to be. Shelley went on to write and record the song “Homo Sapien” in the 80s, which was the gayest song since “Jet Boy Jet Girl.”

Dave Vanian of The Damned was gay. He is the author of “Jet Boy Jet Girl.” Captain Sensible may have been gay, too.

There is also an entire subgenre of west coast punk known as “Queercore.”

I can’t find anything online about this, although I did see that she appeared on Ellen. Anyone got a cite?

I don’t think Joan Jett every officially came out. I could be wrong, of course, but I think I would have heard about it.

I don’t know. I don’t know if I’m serious. I just remember hearing that Felipe Rose was the only one who was gay. And the only cite I could come up with one way or the other said :

"Felipe Rose (the Native American - and the only member who was actually gay) "

Could be wrong but I kind of like living in a world where John Wayne wears women’s underwear and the Village People were straight…just more interesting that way :slight_smile: .

:smack: I can’t believe I forgot Pete Shelly. I love that song.

Oh…how bout that guy from Judus Priest?

Mentioned in the OP, and four other posts in this thread.

Rob Halford. Man, nobody saw that coming.

:dubious:

Their guitarist Del Marquis is also gay. Drummer Paddy Boom is straight.

Tom Robinson is gay.

Dan “Instant Replay” Hardman was also gay.

Lesley Woods of the British post-punk band The Au Pairs is a lesbian.

I bet with a name like that his partners considered him a good find.

If only. His last name is actually just Hartman.

“Jet Boy Jet Girl” was written by Elton Motello then covered by Captain Sensible.

It was written by Motello even though its the same song as “Ca Plane Pour Moi” written by Plastic Bertrand

Both halves of Canadian indie-pop group Tegan and Sara are lesbians. They’re also twin sisters.

The Blood Brothers.

newer bands but I think two members of AFI are gay including the singer and I’ve heard the singer of My Chemical Romance is bisexual, and I recall hearing something about Maynard James Keenan of Tool but I could definitely be wrong about him.

I’m not tied into Entertainment news closely enough to vouch for the accuracy of this (I’m sure someone here will come along and refute or support me), but I’m pretty sure that Billie Joe and maybe one other member of Green Day have come out as being gay, or more likely bi.

Polycarp, much as I love you, I’m going to have to correct you.

Boyzone were an Irish boy-band who were actually pretty big in the Uk and Ireland in the 90s.

From their Vh1 bio: http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/boyzone/bio.jhtml
“Their first twelve singles reached the top five and they became the first Irish act to have four number one hits in the United Kingdom. Their 1998 tour of Ireland shattered all sales records when 35,000 tickets were sold out in four hours.”

Only one of the five members- Stephen Gately- is gay.

Likewise (and I should have thought of this earlier) Mark Feehily, one of the members of Westlife, the current “big” Irish boyband, recently came out, and is planning to marry his long-term partner in the new year.

Westlife are also horribly successful:
“Westlife scores their 17th consecutive UK top 5 hit with “Obvious”. They also have 4 UK #1 albums, and 6 UK top 3 albums!”

http://www.westlife.org/
http://www.westlife.com/

And even if he hadn’t, it’s hard to mistake the meaning of “Philadelphia Freedom.”