my biscuits are doughy

Oh! Just to say, I’ll be baking more this coming Saturday (March 8th) so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll post the results here.

Well hey: Good eats has done biscuits.

http://www.foodtv.com/recipes/re-c1/0,,151,00.html

Can’t pass that up as a source of advice, precious.

Exactly right, imo. Note the minimum of handling and the admonition about the “second pass”. Also the high baking temp. Do preheat. This one’s got everything. Follow this recipe to the letter, Freyr, and ypu can’t gp wrong.

Whoops, didn’t see this one 'till too late. Thanks, tho Apos, and Mangeorge!!

Anyway, I tried using the Bisquick again, but used buttermilk instead of what I’ve been using before (instant non-fat milk)…

…and GREAT RESULTS It looks like the secret is using enough shortening/lard/fat.

I’m baking a batch from scratch on Sunday. Then I’ll try the ulitmate test and buy a box of the generic mix and try the buttermilk in that. If all goes according to plan, they should turn out well.

Okay, the last post and this thread can go to the great Archive in the Sky.

I made another batch using the generic store brand mix and used buttermilk. They turned out the same way. shrug So, that’s it, no way am I buying that stuff again. I’ll stick with Bisquick or simply do it from scratch.

Yes, I made 'em from scratch with chilled equipment and ingredients. Turned out great! Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!

I’d offer to do an LA Dopefest bakeoff in my kitchen, with Dopers lined up, waiting to taste my biscuits, but my place is so small, if you get 3 people in it, it’s too crowded!

So pass 'em out the kitchen window. Real butter, please.
I’ll be in Bakerspatch next weekend, but I can drop on over. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge