[My friend was killed in the] Oregon community college shooting [edited title]

I’m watching CNN live on TV right now. Shootings took place at Umpqua Community College. News is, so far, that the shootings may have started in the science building, then may have moved to others before the shooter was “neutralized” (which could mean he’s been killed), because there are other victims in a few other buildings.

Is Snyder Hall a separate building than the Science Building? Is it one of the closest?

Reports say shooting was limited to one classroom.

Snyder and Science are next to each other. The campus buildings are situated in sort of a long oblong oval shape, with the greens in the center. If IIRC it’s 100 acres and a good portion remains forested so it’s going to take some effort to search the whole campus. Snyder is classrooms, mostly English comp, lit, foreign languages. Most of the liberal arts faculty have their offices in Snyder. Science is physically a bigger building, but has a lecture hall and some labs, so has fewer rooms.

Most of the buildings on campus are built with a sort of “core” of classrooms and storage rooms, and then two breezeways on opposing sides with bathrooms, storage, mechanical rooms, and faculty offices on the outside of the breezeways. Clearing each building is going to be a nightmare.

An ex-faculty member just told me that all employees are prohibited from contacting the outside world during a lockdown. That wasn’t the case when I worked there, so I hope to God he’s right and that is why nobody is responding to my messages.

Really? CNN is saying multiple classrooms.

Now they’re saying the shooter was a man in his late 20s. And was online yesterday engaged with others about this in a thread. He had familiarity with the campus, etc. Sounds like a student.

Thanks for sharing. I really hope that at least the people close to you are safe and sound.

From CNN:

Will be interesting to see if anyone reported anything. It’s gotta be difficult to take that seriously from someone you know and presume is not insane.

One of my professors I was worried about just posted this to her FB wall:

"I’m HOME. I was in the classroom that shares a common wall with the classroom where the shooting began, HOLY SHIT.

I have no cell phone, car keys, house keys, or wallet, but I’m home. So glad to be safe, but I’m still a little shell-shocked. Those of us that were on campus know less than everyone else–they weren’t telling us anything as they put us on buses and drove us offsite. BIG THANKS to local authorities who were on site within minutes, and to our UCC security & administrative staff, who stayed organized under incredible pressure."

Somebody else tagged one of the other profs, letting his friends know he was ok too.

She just added:

“I wasn’t as upset until now. Now, it’s more upsetting–that I’m home, I’m crying–I’m worried about whether or not ALL my students are okay. I have a veteran in class who helped get students out, but he ran back to help. I’m worried about him.”

Great to hear…

That’s horrible that most were in the dark or not knowing how bad the situation was until they get home.

I was thinking the same thing. Trying to imagine what sort of interaction it would take, in an online thread, to take someone seriously that they’re would follow through with something so monstrous.

I was thinking about the discussion here on the SDMB during the past few days about what constitutes a real threat to another person and what can be disregarded as just blowing off steam or submitting a hypothetical.

I know a LOT of people at that school. A lot of them are first-time college students, usually several years out of highschool who haven’t seen the inside of a classroom in years. The work load is new, daunting, and there is no small amount of complaining and general bitching about the instructors, the red tape that is present in any school, and the assignments.

I never heard any threats, but I wonder if this is an example of a real threat just being lost in the general noise? Nobody took it seriously because, frankly, people bitch about school all the time.

No doubt. In this day and age, bitching on the internet is the status quo. How do you discern blowing off steam/hyperbole from the real deal.

Though, the devil will be in the details of that conversation. If he was spouting that he was going to walk on campus tomorrow with his Glock and start offing anyone in his path, I can still see the cynical thinking or saying, “uh-huh, whatever,” and dismissing him as someone just saying dumb shit on the internet.

Of course, hind sight is 20/20. So, after the fact, it’ll seem so obvious and appalling that no one took it seriously.

If it’s the postings that are doing the rounds on twitter, they were done anonymously on 4chan where, of course, some people were encouraging him (and it’ll be a him).

Ahh. If it was anonymous 4chan bullshit, then yeh, they be goading him if anything.

The shooter is confirmed dead.

sigh . . . Well, that didn’t take long . . . :rolleyes:

Ben Carson and right-wing Twitter politicize Oregon shooting with pro-gun agenda: “Democrats and the media want us unarmed and helpless”

At least Alex Jones hasn’t floated a theory that this shooting was a government false-flag op . . . so far as I’ve heard . . . yet . . .

Well, the campus is a gun-free zone. I really am baffled what the point is making it a gun-free zone. The shooter can just ignore the signs.

It means anyone ignoring the signs is presumed to be bent on mayhem. Anyone can call police as soon as they see a gun, because they don’t have to distinguish between legal carry and psychotic killers. Police can shoot on sight anyone carrying a gun.