Name the Movies

“A man turns into an animal, kills another animal, then wakes up naked in a zoo.”

That’s a quote from an actor who was justifying being in a movie where a parent and child magically trade places.

GRRR! I was deliberately excluding Bond movies.

An American Werewolf in London?

Altered States?

1. Mid-1980’s films about a young housewife who has a businessman husband who ignores her and who is fascinated by the adventures of a free-spirited young woman. When she falls and hits her head, she gets amnesia and imagines that she is the young woman she has been fantasizing about. She gets into real adventures where her life is in danger and begins an affair with a much more exciting man than her husband. Since she has amnesia, neither she nor this man realize that she is married. The adventures end happily with the crooks being caught, but then the woman recovers her memories. Her boring husband wants her to come back home with him and the man she has been having an affair with is willing to give her up, but she realizes that she actually loves this new man, so she chooses to leave her husband for him.

Extra credit for number 6. What’s the film from a decade and a half later with certain of the elements of these two 1980’s films (since it’s also about a young housewife in an unhappy marriage who follows the fantasy adventures of a young woman and who gets amnesia and imagines that she is the woman of her fantasies and who then has an affair with a more exciting man) but not other elements (since she doesn’t have to choose between her husband and the new man after recovering her memory)?

1. Three movies from 97/98 that feature a man drawing a picture of an underdressed female (from a live model) using a piece of coal, while looking like he’s finally unravelled the mystery of life.

Titanic, Great Expectations and As Good as It Gets.

Correct. Impressive.

The first two are American Dreamer (1984) and Desperately Seeking Susan (1985). The “extra credit” is Nurse Betty (2000). The amnesiac heroines are played by Rosanna Arquette, JoBeth Williams, and Renée Zellweger respectively, and the reason that RZ doesn’t have to make the lover/husband choice is that it’s witnessing her husband’s murder that causes the PTSD / amnesia, so he’s conveniently out of the picture.

In my post immediately above, the order of Rosanna Arquette (DSS) and JoBeth Williams (AD) should be switched. I’d written it correctly at first, and then switched the movie names to go in chronological order without switching the “respective” heroines.

Huh, and here I was thinking DSS and “Overboard” with Goldie Hawn, but I guess she didn’t replace anyone.

Antonius Block writes:

> The first two are American Dreamer (1984) and Desperately Seeking Susan
> (1985). The “extra credit” is Nurse Betty (2000).

Correct.

1. 2 films, one from the 70’s, one from the 50’s. An extraterrestrial creature in accidentally let on board a spaceship, lurks about the ship killing off crew members one by one, and is finally disposed of by opening an airlock. (I know these aren’t close together in time frame–just want to make a point that even great sci-fi films are not above lifting plots.)
  1. It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) and Alien (1979).

Right!! As good as Alien was, I remember leaving the theater thinking, “I’ve seen this movie before!”

Yes! (No wonder I wasn’t sure of the title; it’s got two of them.)

Here’s one for you:

Two early 1960’s movies in which a neurotic young lady goes running around a big, spooky house that may possibly contain a ghost or two… or maybe she’s just losing her mind.

House on Haunted Hill and The Screaming Skull (one of my all-time favorite MST3K’s).

Those aren’t the two I was thinking of, although they do fit the description.

Two mid-80s movies in which River Phoenix plays one of a group of young boys who break into a junkyard and encounter a dog there.

Stand By Me (I’m positive of that one) and Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade? (I don’t remember a junkyard dog but he was with a group of boys battling grave robbers, lions, snakes and other things so I’ll take a guess.)

Either way, the movie in Al Freeman played the murderer of a character he had earlier portrayed on a television miniseries, and the movie in which Katharine Hepburn mentions the prospects of piercing her nipples to hang jewelry and mentions the seizure causing beauty of her bare breasts in youth.