New Orleans dining suggestions - please read OP before suggesting

Camellia Grill on Carrollton. I think they opened one in the Quarter on Chartres.

For the OP, you might want to consider Mulate’s on Julia. The food is only so-so, but it’s a touristy Cajun place that features live music and IIRC is family friendly, so it might be fun for your kid (been ages since I’ve been there).

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

I’d do pre-check before taking the St. Charles Trolley. Last time I was there (a month or so ago) that line was under repair and I got diverted to a bus for my final desination.

Acme Oyster House.

Since you say you’ll be in the French Quarter, I recommend Antoine’s. Nice place. It’s been more than a decade since I was last there, but I still remember, with pleasure, the crawfish etouffee. =Sigh=

http://www.antoines.com/index.html

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks. Johnny’s is awesome for po-boys. Stay away from Mother’s on Poydras though; overrated and not worth standing in line for.

Also, if you get up early enough for brunch or breakfast, the Old Coffeepot on St. Peter between Royal and Bourbon (next to Pat O’Brien’s) has very tasty food.

The nice thing is you can have a leisurely brunch at the Coffeepot , chat over coffee after you eat, then pop in to Pat O’Brien’s and start on Hurricanes.

To each is own, but I’m glad I didn’t listen to the many naysayers on Mothers. The Ferdie sandwich is one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. Every town has their places the locals call “tourist traps,” but I’ve had good experiences at most.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Keep em coming.

I should be getting to the hotel by 1:00pm or so on Saturday. So I’m thinking we’ll have lunch and dinner on Saturday, breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday. We’ll probably just grab breakfast at the hotel on Monday morning since we have to get out of there kinda early.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

Saturday lunch: Johhny’s Po-Boys since it is only a couple blocks away from the hotel and we’ll probably be pretty hungry after travelling. Maybe a Seafood Muffaletta?

Saturday dinner: Cochon, since it is closed on Sundays.

Saturday night desert: Cafe Du Monde before heading back to the hotel and bed.

Sunday Breakfast: Ruby Slipper. Very close to the hotel and the Eggs Cochon sounds delicious.

Sunday Lunch: Maybe Tracey’s mentioned by living_in_hell. We should be in the Garden district around lunch time to see Lafayette Cemetery before it closes at 3:00pm. Any other ideas on what to eat in the area? Maybe some place that serves good gumbo?

Sunday Dinner: ACME Oyster House since we’ll be in the area already. Maybe share a 1/2 and 1/2 platter with my wife?

Bon Ton Cafe is closed Saturdays and Sundays. And I love bread pudding. :frowning:

So it looks like I’ve got my staples pretty much met except for gumbo.

Why no iphones, living_in_hell? I take it you mean no smart phones? I have a galaxy s3. Should I leave that behind as well? I was going to use it as my camera.

ETA: not sure that I’ll have clothes nice enough for Antoine’s. That place looks fancy as hell…

I should add, though, that Central Grocery’s muffuletta is the real can’t miss sandwich for me.

There’s a place across from the Convention Center called Mulate’s that makes some really killer grilled alligator and other Cajun (as opposed to Creole) favorites.

Pere Antoine’s (not to be confused with Antoine’s) on Royal St. has great jambalaya, and is reasonably priced.

Edit: Also on Royal St., The Court of Two Sisters has a completely decadent jazz brunch every day, with pretty much everything you could ever want to eat. Oh SOO good.

I assume he’s talking about phone snatchers, talked about in this thread. I posted a video of a phone snatching on Bourbon Street. You can certainly use them, just be aware that they are a targeted item.

And if you like the food, they sell their cookbook.

No recommendations for Antoine’s? Oldest restaurant in NOLA!

Tracey’s is a great choice if you’re in the area. You can’t miss their Roast Beef Po’Boy. It’s the one that used to be at Parasol’s, but the owners sold and took the recipe to Tracey’s. I dream of them.

Glasses, dude.

Coop’s is great and I have a vested interest in you going there :wink: But it should be noted that it is 21 and up because of the presence of video poker machines, so no bringing the kids. Buffa’s on Esplanade and Maison on Frenchman are in the same part of the world, but I can’t recall if they have age restrictions or not. Buffa’s has great food but a slightly divey appearance, while Maison is more fancy/trendy and has live music a lot of the time.

I don’t doubt your experience, but Pere Antoine’s has laughably bad Yelp reviews. There are some hilarious reviews written about them there.

My wife and I LOVE Coop’s. What is your vested interest? Their rabbit jambalaya is crazy good! (of course… let’s not mention the level of cleanliness of the place)

To wit: post 25.