New Urban legend? Printer 'black boxes'

Immediately below “Print in Grayscale” there should be a drop down list. For me (HP printer) there is an item in the list for “print with Black Ink only.”

I’m well aware of setting it to print in black ink only. That several printers have absolutely refused to do so, due to being out of colored ink, is maddening.

First of all, I’m using a Mac Mini running the latest version of OSX Yosemite. I have an HP OfficeJet 4500 G510G plugged in via USB. My color ink cartridge ran out, so I grabbed a spare and put it in. The printer gave me an error message saying the cartridge wasn’t working. I took it out and rebooted the printer. It gave me an error message saying the color cartridge was missing. I pushed the OK button. I opened up a document in Open Office, went to the print menu like I always do. I did NOT click anything special like “convert to grayscale” or anything like that. I just clicked on print like I always do and the printer spat out a B&W version of the document.

I had no idea there was anything surprising about this.

I have operated this printer many times in the past with one cartridge or the other missing. It gives me an error message on the printer’s tiny little screen and prompts me to press the OK button and then it goes ahead and works just fine with only one cartridge.

the last HP printer I will ever own is this Officejet 6000. I thought, “well, it’s an Officejet, so it’s got to be better than the consumer crap, right?” Nope. I was sold an inkjet printer which was supposed to produce 30 pages per minute of B&W or color pages. What I actually have is a gray and white box which produces minutes of whirring and clicking and magically makes ink disappear.

Amusingly, in the 80s the CIA infiltrated the Washington DC Soviet embassy with an agent posing as the Xerox repairman. He actually installed a small film camera they designed to fit inside the copy machine and photograph everything copied. He would make regular visits to refill the toner (and remove & replace the camera’s film!)

Didn’t we (US) fuck up the Iraqi’s something or other system before the Iraq war by shipping hp printers with malware? Or was that some Israel campaign?