Next books to read.

A minor bit of necromancy I suppose, but appropriate given the context. I just wrapped up the second book in the series. I’m rather enjoying it so far. I like the limitations that the main character has to deal with. The Dresden series definitely has a bit of power creep going on.

Next on my list is Tom Clancy’s Threat Vector, as soon as my DiL-to-be gets it for me for Christmas. :wink:

Just finished that one myself and it was pretty good, though now I have to wait for the next one which is always a bit of a struggle. I read the latest Iron Druid book before that…if you haven’t read the series, you might want to check it out. It’s similar to the Dresden Files, but different enough to still be a good read. I especially like the dog, though to get the full effect you need to listen to the unabridged audio books from Audible.com, IMHO.

Currently I’m re-listening to Gathering Storm…after that I’ll hit Towers of Midnight, hopefully right in time for A Memory of Light which is coming out January 8th. Probably the most anticipated book for me in years.

So I did pick up the first Mike Carey novel. Also, the first of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher thrillers, though I doubt I’ll see the movie.

I didn’t mean to bias opinions so much in favor of urban fantasy, though I appreciate all the recommendations. I like other genres, and haven’t read any urban fantasy other than the Dresden Files.

I’m going to start Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for my next, more involved read.

Thanks again!

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is a great book. I know it was only published eight years ago but I think it’s going to be one of the classics of the fantasy genre and something that people will still be reading a hundred years from now.

Other fantasy recommendations, out of the urban fantasy sub-genre:

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. I just reread this one (I picked up a copy at a library sale). Bujold’s mainly known for her science fiction but she’s also written several fantasy novels. This one, in my opinion, is her best. A good central character and a tightly-woven plot.

Devil’s Tower and Devil’s Engine by Mark Sumner. Excellent mixture of the fantasy and western genres. The central premise is the Civil War caused a major necromantic event which caused civilization to collapse in the old west. The books are set twenty years later showing how people are coping with a Old West where magic works. So you have gunfights that use spells and sheriffs that are wizards.

Haven’t read that one, but I really enjoyed The Hallowed Hunt, which is set in the same world.

Am I the only Mercedes Lackey fan around here? The Diana Tregarde series (especially the third book, Jinx High), the SERRAted Edge, Bedlam’s Bard…