Next Step in the Debate: Polyamorous, multiple-partner marriages?

My kid will not have parents that fit in, This would be true even if KellyM were not in the picture. My child will be born of an obese bisexual feminist married to a somewhat fruity, pastel wearing, teddy bear collecting, obese, disabled man. Children do not have the right to have parents who are perfectly normal. Odd people have as much right to reproduce as anyone else. Children deserve the love and support of their parents, but not parents that fit any specific mold.

I know scads of children with 3 or more parents. I know many who have made parental bonds with step parents while maintaining the bond with their original parents.

What consenting adults do in their own homes leads to raising children. What people do in their own homes is called family life. My family will have 3 parents and 1 child starting next spring.

StGermain: There is no evidence to support your underlying assumption that polygamous marriages will be less stable. And it’s well-known that the factoid you cite, that one-half of all marriages fail, is false. And I doubt you’ll find anything to show that stability is more important than loving, caring parents.

Sorry, but child-rearing is not a perogative of normalcy. If there is a problem with teasing at school, then the school needs to put an end to the teasing. You’re blaming the victim here, and that’s not acceptable.

I know that the children in at least one multi-adult family are targets of envy by some of their classmates – “You have N parents and they all live together and get along!”