No one told me The Sound of Music was 3 hours long! Is this cruel and unusual?

There’s always Fiddler on the Roof which comes in at 180 minutes. Great movie but I hate the wedding scene, because it always makes me sad.

Heeyyy!! Sing-along Three Stooges!!

Everybody now: “B-A-Bay, B-E-Bee, B-I-Bickey-Bye, B-O-Bo…”

Ok, so my experience wasn’t all that bad - and wow, I don’t remember Lawrence of Arabia being that long…ouch.

Not available through a quick YouTube search, but there’s a Family Guy variant of one of “my favorite [scenes]”. While the von Trapps are fleeing the convent two of the nuns tell Mother Superior to “bless us for we have sinned”. Mother Superior says “what is this sin my children?” at which point they reach into their habits and pull out severed Nazi heads

Worked much better than the spark plugs and may have helped make the movie go faster.

I actually like TSOM but I doubt I could sit through it start to finish since I’ve seen it enough to know which parts drag.

Y’all are crazy! I love the Sound of Music. The songs are incredibly easy to memorize, too, if you’re interested in that kind of thing (I memorized them by viewing 2 or 3), so I don’t think the theater full of mouthing zombies is that weird. :slight_smile: The songs kind of go right where you’d expect them to go (not very edgy, but hey, that’s not always important).

The Family Guy gag would have been awesome in the movie, though.

Wow – I guess I thrive on epics. Last weekend, I watched the entire Bleak House over two days.

Lawrence of Arabia? I put that on every six or eight weeks. Love Ben Hur. Adore The Ten Commandments. Hamlet’s a fav…

Yeah, I am a sick, sick person…

Don’t know if you can stand yet more, but the Broadway production included two numbers designed to act as counterpoint to the borderline glurge:

Cutting those consigned the movie to certain saccharinity.

I couldn’t believe that that movie wasn’t over yet.

And I’m one of those people who knows every line of the Sound of Music. I can sing along with the nuns during the Alleluia. The sing-a-long tries too hard to create its own gimmicks that aren’t that good. And here, there’s an hour before the movie starts of people showing off their costumes.
But it’s still worth it to see it on a really big screen.

Psst. All the outdoor stuff was filmed on location.

As to running time, The Wizard of Oz is only 101 minutes. You think it’ll be 3 hours from watching it on TV.

Friedrich REALLY loved his curtain outfit, eh? :smiley:

Me too. There’s something about the pacing of those long epic movies that I just love. As a kid both Spartacus and Ben Hur were favorites of mine; now Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite movies of all time.

And, they’re perfect for sleeping in front of too, in a pinch.

My 6th? grade class went to see it, as it was re-released at that time, but there was a pit break in the middle; since it was one of the school-trip sessions, the stop lasted until everybody had been able to finish and get seated again. Mom says that these long movies used to be released as two-parters, which meant many strong-worded arguments with parental units about going to the movies “twice in two weeks!”

For months, we spent every mid-morning recess going over the songs until we all knew every single one by heart. Well, except a couple that were too romantic for our taste, which along with the group being mixed-gender tells me it must indeed have been 6th grade and not 7th.

Don es trato de varón,
res selvático animal
mi denota posesión
far es lejos en inglés
sol ardiente esfera es
la al nombre es anterior
si asentimiento es
y otra vez ya viene el do, do, do, do…

I just came in here to say that Sound Of Music was a really good and surreal pick for the militia to watch every day in The Postman. :cool:

The Sound of Music singalong played one day at a movie theater here, and was a big fat bomb. Like, no one showed up. And it had been a rip-roaring sold out success in other nearby cities! Our local humor columnist wrote an article urging Sound of Music fans to come to another showing this weekend, he promised to be there at the theater as a greeter, dressed as a nun. With a tuba. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do love the Sound of Music and get very excited when it’s on (and even once did the Sound of Music tour on Christmas Day in Salzburg. What? It was Christmas Day! There was nothing else to do!), but I find it helps to stop watching when they start hiding from the Nazis. Fast forward to them walking over the mountains into Switzerland.

The Simpsons movie has an intermission…granted, it’s very short.

TSoM is one of my wife’s favorite movies of all time. I guess I enjoy it well enough, but I can’t help rolling my eyes toward the end when the lyricists clearly ran out of steam and penned “Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you…”

Definately true, a great film to watch on Christmas around midday with all grand parents, parents, siblings, cousins, nieces etc.

I meant to mention yesterday: I had two friends who went to the SoM Sing Along in Baltimore a few years ago. I didn’t go with them, but from what they said about it, I gathered that it’s something like a family-friendly version of Rocky Horror, with costumes but not so much throwing things. My friends went as “tea, a drink with jam and bread”–one was tea, the other was jam and bread.

Before they went, we had a rehearsal sing-along in one friends’ home with the DVD with captioning on for the song lyrics. I hadn’t realized before then that there are no new songs in the second half of the movie; it’s all reprises from the wedding scene on.

I actually own most of the movies mentioned on DVD (but not The Sound of Music); I feel that are best enjoyed in the comfort of one’s home, with kitchen. bathroom, and pause button nearby, rather than from uncomfortable theater seats.

Just wait until you see Mary Poppins – aye yi yi!

I was in a community theater production of The Sound of Music years ago, and I’d forgotten about “No Way to Stop It” completely. Imagine my surprise when I starting singing along. Almost 30 years ago, and it’s still buried in my brain. I do remember “How Can Love Survive,” though — I still will sometimes sing, “you reach your goals in your comfy old Rolls or in one of your Mer-say-deezes!” when I see a Mercedes. :slight_smile: