Obama's Other Appointment

In that article, it’s hilarious that Jill Biden told Joe he could have a dog if he won. :smiley:

We have one of each. The Toy is the best, sweetest dog we’ve ever had. It’s not one of those little shit, piss, and barking dogs like you think. The Standard is 7 months and is a handful though, but so far a great dog.

the puppy was promised no matter what the election outcome.

a great dane is really good with kids, as is the lab.

Canada (well, Québec) already gives Labrador dogs to French Presidents.

this just in from cnn. the new addition to the obama family will be from a rescue!

Not that I approve of designer mutts in general, but given the allergy issue perhaps a Labradoodle would fit the bill.

Not only do I think that the North American Standard Mongrel Dog is the absolute best breed ever, but there would also be a powerful symbolism in a champion of the downtrodden choosing his dog from a rescue shelter instead of an elitist breeder.

Everybody knows Barack Obama is a terrier-loving terrierist.

I’m gonna vote Golden Retriever.

My reasons?

1. Very few things in this world are cuter than a golden puppy.
  2. Very, very child friendly
  3. Wheeeee! Did It!
  4. Extremely photo friendly
  5. non-aggressive almost to a fault.
  6. Sure, it will spend the first two years eating the West Wing, but after that? It’ll be Golden!
    ETA: a retired greyhound would be a nice choice, although they aren’t really dogs as such.
    OT: My daughter isn’t old enough to have such opionions, but when you promise your kid a pet, doesn’t the kid get to pick it out?

A poster on another site recommended “Bark”, Bark Obama.

From what I remember, the Obama girls wanted a dog before the election started. They agreed that once the election was over, they as a family would get a dog.

Michelle has reported previously that they would adopt a dog, rather than “buy” a dog.

My pick for them would be a labradoodle, a wheaten mix, or any poodle mix because of the allergies with Malia.

FWIW, once the Obama Family takes residence, they will most likely have the best dog trainer/behaviorist working with them to select and train the dog to make sure it is not a raving nutter.

It could be worse. From this story on CNN:

:eek:

Truer words were never spoken.

And while I, too, would love to see a retired racing greyhound as the First Pet, it’s a long shot at best, if for no other reason than they aren’t puppies anymore. Though sometimes there are puppies available from accidental litters and such …

today’s press conference was interesting.

of course the question of the dog was raised. sen. obama answered as if it were a major point of policy. this decision is being very seriously researched.

then he threw in the joke.

he was rather more relaxed than i’ve seen him.

Someone at The New Republic concurs:

I happened to catch the press conference live, and found this answer extremely amusing:

What the transcript doesn’t capture is that his tone, particularly in the first couple lines, was as if this were just as much Serious Business of National Import as the economics policy questions that preceded it.

From what I gather, they ARE going through a rescue organization, but they’re looking for an allergy-friendly breed. So far, I hear, a Goldendoodle seems to be the most popular choice.
Presidential Pets Museum.com

It looks like the winners in the past century were the Coolidges and Teddy Roosevelt’s family.

Even his choice for the White House pet is extremely thought out.

I think he will make a good decision with regards to that issue and will support him no matter which puppy he will choose.

Heh. That’s what I tell my friends who have two retired greyhounds. After all, dogs are supposed to have some brain, right? Those things are just a lazy collection of legs that tend to whomp! into things because they can’t quite master the concept of stopping.

Man, can you imagine being his daughter and trying to get a raise in allowance out of that guy? You better be prepared with five pages of legal briefs and a strong argument!

“Well, with respect to your request, this is a major issue. We have two criteria that have to be reconciled – you want more money and I have dishes that need washing.”

[hijack]How has the WH staff handled chores for kids in previous administrations? I think having your kids do chores is important to instill a number of values, but don’t they have people to take care of the menial tasks that are usually assigned to children in other households?[/hijack]