Oh, fuck this...

It’s because you’re only 15½, you schmuck. And all kinds of people in here going, “Mom must not remember what it was like…” “I would have snuck out…” “Wow she’s unreasonable…” Uh, no. She’s not. My city’s a damned sight smaller than Toronto and I wouldn’t let my 15½-year-old kid hang out down there until midnight.

Isn’t “No, you aren’t even old enough to DRIVE yet, I’m not letting you go downtown until midnight for chrissakes” kind of a REASONABLE response?

I mean, if the kid had said, “Mom can I…with friends…and [name]'s older sister? She’s 22” I could see people calling the mother “unreasonable.” But COME ON.

Somehow, I don’t see that as being much better.

Daredevil: Mom! A bunch of poeple I met on the internet said they’d be glad to take me!

Daredevil’s mom: :eek:

Cut to Daredevil losing all internet privlages.

Really, bouv - you should know better than to suggest someone fraternize with <i>Internet people</i>. :wink:

What? Oh, right. Never mind.

Aw hell. :rolleyes:

Anyway. For those who don’t know, I married one of them.

Just for the record, I did not say that dare_devil007 should sneak out to see the show; I said that I regretted not having sneaked out to do something really cool. Suppose I said that when I was 15 I sneaked out of the house and hitch-hiked 200 miles to see the Beatles. Y’all would think that was pretty cool. I know you would.

As an adult, even as a non-parent, I’d be appalled at such behavior. I freaked out when my visiting nieces and their sleepover buddies snuck out at 5 a.m. to walk around the lake.

Yeah, but to me that kinda’ implies approval of such a scheme, you know? Like, “Man, if I’d known what I do today, I’d’ve done a LOT more screwing in college. But, uh, <b>you</b> should definitely save yourself until marriage.”

I can see how you weren’t approving or encouraging, but I hope you can see how I could have - and did - interpret it that way.

That’s two counts of “acting like an adult” for you - acknowledging defeat and disappointment, and doing something to make yourself feel better about it. You’re learning great lessons here. Learning to deal with disappointment is a very useful thing for all adults - and you get to use it so often. :smiley:

I have a suggestion to make.

This is the conversation that I think you should have with your Mom.

But it’s very important that you be only calm, you must demonstrate maturity and restraint in the face of your own anger and frustration. This is key. And you should also undertake this converstation only once you have accepted that you will not change her mind, you are not going. It’s not going to go well if you have this chat with an agenda of changing something. First, accept this is how it is, and you are not going to change it. When you are in that head space, tell your Mom you’d like to discuss something important with her.

Tell her you want to talk about this event and your non attendance. Be up front and honest, tell her you don’t want to argue or fight or to change her mind you just want to express what you feel. Then say something along these lines, change up the words so it sounds like you, and remain calm and speak in an soft even voice and do Not expect to change anything;

"Your choice makes me feel that you don’t trust me. Yes, I know you’ll say, it’s the big bad city you don’t trust. But really, you don’t trust me to know trouble when I see it and take the proper steps, in a timely fashion to avoid it. You don’t trust me to pay attention to my surroundings, strangers, dangers. Your decision seems based entirely on location and time of day. This seems to ignore that there is plenty of trouble available to this teenager to get into at school, at friends houses and in the day time. I have successfully negotiated my way around these traps and I wager I’m a little better at spotting it and avoiding it than you are for all your years. Your decision utterly fails to acknowledge this in any way. This event was very important to me, but not nearly as important as knowing that you feel you can trust me. I feel I have earned the right to show you just how trustworthy I am. I am anxious to show the world, and you, the sort of adult I am planning to become. I know you will be proud and impressed by that adult, and am feeling very frustrated as a result of your decision.

I have been encouraged by some to make up a lie, or to sneak out, always with the justification that, “you’re so trustworthy, you know there won’t be any problems, what can it hurt?” Well, it would hurt my relationship with you and demonstrate that I am, indeed, not to be trusted. More importantly, it’s not who I am, I think you already know this about me.

I cannot help but think that, over the next few years, it will of so much importance that we can have trust between us. Without a doubt there will be times, when it will be very important (for me) to have trust in you, I can only hope I do not disappoint you, certainly that is my aim. However, on this occcasion, it was very important (for me) for you to have trust in me. Forgive for being disappointed that you can’t seem to find that trust.

Now I understand that conflict and differences of opinions are unavoidable in the teenage - parent relationship and I sure don’t believe I can win every battle. But I wanted you to know that I was really looking forward to this event as my first opportunity to shine as an adult, that I was ready and prepared, and that is the real opportunity I am missing. I guess I’m just trying to say, more difficult conflict may lie ahead of us, and difficult challenges surely, to navigate successfully through those waters will be smoother by far if I know I can trust you. But adult relationships are two way streets, can I continue to place trust in people who have none for me? Who cannot or will not recognise my maturity and see my worthiness?

dare_devil_007: Have you heard of Natalee Holloway? This is the latest missing teenager to get a significant amount of news coverage.

Natalee is an 18-year-old high-school graduate who was on a trip with 120 friends and adults to Aruba. She has been missing for more than a week. Although hope springs eternal, at this point it would be a miracle for her to be found alive.

The likelihood of this happening to you is remote. That’s the type of worst-case scenario a parent focuses on, though. Not because a parent wants to shackle you and prevent you from ever having fun, but because he or she loves you and doesn’t want any harm to come to you.

Bide your time. You’ll be on your own soon enough, and you can stay out as late as you want at that point.

And when you’re in your first apartment, call up your mother and say “I’m eating a box of Oreos for dinner! I’m ruining my appetite and THERE’S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! HA!” and hang up.

It really makes childhood worth it.

Sauron, yes, I did read in the news about Natalee Holloway. I’m just going to wait like everyone is telling me to. So don’t worry, I won’t sneak out ever at night because 1. I’m afraid of getting punished by my parents and 2. I’m scared of the dark anyways.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea!! Well, I did something like this when I went to Europe last month. I was in Budapest and I called my mother from the hotel payphone and I said, “Mom, my friends and I got the biggest room in the hotel because we’re the only group of four and we’re having a huge party until midnight and we’re passing beer around! And you’re not here to stop us!”

Well, the part about us getting the biggest room in the hotel was true. The parts about the party and beer weren’t.

Search in Forum(s)
Search All Open Forums
Search Subscribed Forums
About This Message Board Comments on Cecil’s Columns
Comments on Staff Reports
General Questions
Great Debates
Cafe Society
In My Humble Opinion
Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)
The BBQ Pit

√ Also search in child forums

I didn’t mean to sound so old-fogeyish in my post. Although I’m pushing 40 now, I distinctly remember staying out late when I was in my teens; the difference being, I grew up in a tiny town in Alabama. Toronto is probably quite safe, but I’d be willing to bet it wasn’t as safe as my hometown. And I STILL got hassled occasionally by my parents, even when I was 17 and 18, if I was out “too late.”

Could you talk your mom into letting your friends spend the night with you so you could all watch the program on TV? I’m not trying to be Pollyanna, but as I got older I slowly learned that what was the most fun was being with my friends, not the events themselves. The events that we went to (such as concerts or football games or whatever) were cool, but what really made them fun was my friends. Now I’m so old that I would RATHER watch almost any event on TV; that way I can ignore the hassles of transportation, parking, the guy sitting next to me spilling his beer on me and burning my sleeve with his cigarette four times, etc.

Oh, one other thing I’ve learned – there’s nothing in the dark that isn’t there in the light, too.

Except vampires. Gotta watch out for those fuckers.

Oh, vampires are there; they’re just hiding.

:eek: Really?! Where??

Silly 15-1/2 year old. Vampires are just a myth, like pixies and eskimos.
It’s the Reverse Vampires you have to watch out for.

:dubious: What the heck are Reverse Vampires??

Um, where HAVE you been? They’re like normal vampires, but they can only come out during the day. Duh. Everyone knows about reverse vampires.

:wink:

Well! Excuuuuuse me! :stuck_out_tongue:

And, Mr. MaxTheVool, I resent that about the eskimos 'cause I’m Canadian! :wink: