Opposite of phallic?

I vote for ‘vulvic’, which I have just made up. It matches ‘phallic’ in ending and number of syllables, and starts with the ‘vulv’ root. :slight_smile:

Hmm, [symbol]kwjoV[/symbol] is Greek for ‘dumb’, ‘mute’. Google “kophon” and you’ll find lots of quotes from the Greek Gospel about Jesus healing a bloke’s dumbness. Maybe it was used for the yoni because it’s compared to a mouth, but it does not speak.

Gives a whole new meaning to “Shut your pie-hole!”

Liptastic?

Is he? He never said that “phallic” used in psychological circles is unrelated to it’s meaning as an adjective for a penile form. His statement and the meaning that you paraphrased are NOT mutually exclusive.

He’s mentioned psychology to say that “phallic” is used mainly when we talk about the *mental attitudes * towards things that look like penises. Are you implying that there’s nothing going on psychologically when people compare the Washington Monument to a big penis? It’s obvious that there’s a lot of Freudian theory behind the reason so many people use the penis as a base reference, instead of thinking “Hey, that looks like a big fence post!!”

[Melanie]
Freud’s mystic world of meaning need not leave us mystified
It’s really very simple what the psyche tries to hide:
A thing is a phallic symbol if it’s larger than it’s wide!
[/Melanie]

…and the ID goes marching on, hallelujah!
There is a difference between phallic and penile, sure enough. So we not only need a proper Greek-origin adjective for the corresponding female parts, we need an adjective that specifically references them in a moistened and engorged state. The hungry mouth and all that.

To me, when someone says, 'the modern usage of term X is…" I hear an exclusivity. (Would ‘phallic’ even have an ancient or classical terminology?)

Ordinarily, when one is giving one of several possible definitions of a term, one usually says, “term X often means… can also mean… one of its modern meanings is…”

It’s possible that an exclusivity wasn’t meant. <shrug>

I’m still waiting for a cite on how ‘vulvar’ is used in psych circles to indicate a mental attitude.

Peace.

OK, a citation or two.

The sites online refer mostly to medical conditions and the psychological syndromes connected to them. Google (Dogpile, actually) did not come up with any straight psychology texts. If you don’t mind citations to psychology textbooks you don’t have on your bookshelf, I’ll dig through a few and come up with page numbers, etc.

In the meantime, these sites show the common usage of ‘vulvar’ as the medical term for the external parts of the female genitalia. Clinical psychology takes its usage from there.

Vulvodynia.com

The Vulvar Pain Foundation

PubMed abstract

Self Help Magazine

Vulvar Health

Oops, found an online usage of the term in a purely psychological context.

From The Rorschach Test

Bolding mine.

And another. Though only peripherally psychological, it shows the two terms used as contrasting complements.

From Facts and Phallacies

I’d say yonic as well, but at least one source disagrees:

Maude: In a sense, yes. Elfranco, my robe. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal. Which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Dude: Oh yeah?

Maude: Yes, they don’t like hearing it and find it difficult to say. Whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his “dick” or his “rod” or his “Johnson”.

Dude: “Johnson”?

• The Big Lebowski

Thank-you, Satyagrahi, for those cites.

Peace.

The unabridged dictionaries in my college library used “phallicism” to refer to lingam-worship and “kteism” to refer to yoni-worship.

Dibs on Kteist for a username!!

I went to the Oxford English Dictionary and found that the adjective yonic has an impressively long history of use in English for precisely this meaning. Going back to 1879.

yoni ('jəUnI). [Skr.] A figure or symbol of the female organ of generation as an object of veneration among the Hindus and others. Hence 'yonic a.
1799 Asiatick Researches III.363 The navel of Vishnu, by which they mean the os tincæ, is worshipped as one and the same as the sacred yóni.
1879 M. MACFIE Relig. Parall. 27 The yonic or moon-worshippers of Chaldea… The yonic symbolism professed by their remote ancestors in Turkestan, who were originally worshippers of the female principle.
1906 WHATHAM in Amer. Jrnl. Relig. & Psychol. II.44 In nature-worship, all natural orifices were reverenced as representing the yoni of the mother-earth goddess.