Parachuting from skyscrapers.

No, not “surely”. In the case to the WTC, they may have saved lives. You need to balance this against fires where the buildings don’t collapse, and people jumping with parachutes die, who would have survived had they stayed put.

The mesh tube escape systems are used on some Deep Sea Drilling Rigs. They allow riggers to get to the water, without a 150’ free-fall, in case of a blowout. Length and load are the limiting factors. Oh, and even those require training to use.

Ok, since low altitude jumps are tricky and dangerous, how about issuing parachutes, and then having giant catapults that toss people high into the air so they have plenty of time to deploy their parachutes? You could also solve the problem of people running into one another on the way down if you launched people a few blocks in a random direction.

Of course, this would all need to be computer-controlled, to avoid throwing people into adjacent buildings, etc (or landing them on the spire on the empire state building), but I think I have a workable idea here, folks. It could also double as a waste management system, a la Yardapult™.

:slight_smile:

Is this a script proposal for a Mel Brooks movie? :slight_smile:

Is there something preventing office workers from carrying their own 'chutes with them now?

What about a steel wire to some adjacent lower building. You strap on a harness with a tackle, and connect yourself to the wire. What a ride! Less expensive and much safer than parachutes. The drawback is you can’t have an ecape-wire on every floor.

Hi-rise search and rescue is a nightmare. Many cities do not permit buildings over 10 stories (max range of commonly available aerial ladders) just to avoid this problem.

High rise building plans are usually subject to far more stringent standards for escape than smaller buildings.

Events like the WTC create damage FAR BEYOND any reasonable plans for escape. Sprinkler systems are very good at containing or slowing the spread of fires, giving people time to utilize fire exits. When those systems are shattered by tons of flying metal they can’t do their job. We don’t build buildings like we build combat vehicles they just aren’t built to take that kind of hit.

The best way, stairwells and functioning elevators in adequately protected shafts while fire supression systems hold the fire at bay. Once the fire dept starts throwing thousands of gallons of water around, stairwells turn into raging waterfalls so clearing the bulilding ASAP is essential.

I find this idea strangely appealing, but it would most likely require some serious training to deploy properly. Actually this got me thinking why not some kind of speed restricted device that clamps onto a cable that drops folks slowly to the ground. Each floor could easily have several stations and a weighted base or anchor point on the ground would minimize swinging cables. Device could be linked to a harness or strap of some kind so you just hook on and let gravity handle the rest.

Unfortunately IANAE and have no idea how you might buld a device (the Autorappeller[sup]TM[/sup]) that could ride a cable slowly without getting dangerously hot or wearing out over hundreds of feet of descent.

Because 90% of the untrained people who try to BASE jump off of the building would DIE.

Because people would panic, get stuck and DIE. This is something for a 4 story brownstone, not a 40 story office building.

Yes, that and the fact that you would have dozens of people zip-lining into Brooklyn at 100 mph, where they would also DIE.

You basically described a window washers rig. Once again, 50 people try to pile in, the cable breaks and they die.

Catapaults into Battery Park would not have worked.
Rocket packs are also a no-go.
Same goes giant inflatable stunt-man bags, fireman poles and turning the top floors of the building into a rocket ship.

Sorry, but there really isn’t any practical, safe way to escape from a building that has blown in half other than the fire stairs or a helicopter.

The problem is a financial issue. I have seen BASE jumps from well under 200 feet. They used a static line “method”. Of course these were very experience jumpers.

People can be shown with very little how to put on the rig, how to jump out, and how to open it. And even how to turn using toggles and land. Unless you practice it and re-train you will forget. Chances are, in a panic, they would all do it wrong. Most would probably die. Trust me, it is not as simple as just jumping out and pulling something. There is quite a lot of skill involved to do it properly without injury or death.

I have to have my reserver repacked every 120 days by a licensed parachute rigger. Even if I never use it. Cost me $50 each time. You have 19,000 working in each building. Say you only supply chutes for the upper half of the building. With both buildings were are still at 19,000 chutes that have to be repacked 3x per year. Thats 2.8 million per year on parachute packing. Not even thinking about the $2-3000 cost per rig. Large dollar outlay for saving very few people. The owners of the building would rather pay insurance companies to cover their loss of life problems. Plus, if they did supply parachutes just think of all the injuries and death lawsuits.