Peacenick says: "I'm for Bush". Time to stick a fork in Kerry?

You want an example of Kerry appeal crossing party lines? Dwight Eisenhower’s son, perhaps?

I will point out that I said this was one of SEVERAL such. Maybe you have clean motives, but do they all? :dubious:

Yes, Kerry is done. The truth is best extracted where money is on the line. Tradesports, which is an online futures-style betting house, Bush is trading at 68.5%,
and Kerry at 32.5%. For the same reasons that DARPA wanted to create a terrorist futures market, these stats are probably the most accurate. People won’t delude themselves if money is involved.

So, it is 5 weeks before the election and the bettors seem to have decided that Bush is about twice as likely to win as Kerry. That hardly qualifies as “done” in my book.

I would agree that Bush probably has a slight advantage at the moment but not even close to an insurmountable one. Even if the bettors are a perfect signal for how things are at the moment, they aren’t fortune-tellers. They don’t know what events might actually transpire between now and election day.

Chock another one up to blind faith in markets.

The first image that came to mind when I saw the OP was the very-liberal actor Ron Silver addressing the RNC a month or so ago (so technically it’s old news, right?). That totally blew my mind at the time…

I used hyperbole because those with something to lose show a major disparity in opinion relative to those who don’t. And of course things will change; I assumed there was an implied ceteris paribus.