People who were internationally famous and didn't know it

When Jesus was alive, he was just a slightly more notable than average fish in a small pond. He just started getting noticed many decades after his death.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/josephus.html

A brief mention by Josephus c. 93 CE

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/tacitus.html

A brief mention by Tacitus c. 115 CE

Thus 85 years after the death of Jesus only 2 independent historians (outside the Xtian cult) considered him worth mentioning. Not only not famous in the ancient Roman world, but barely a blip on the radar to contemporary reporters.

The Star Wars kid knew he was famous… eventually and long after the fact.

The guy on the Taster’s Choice coffee jars, unknowingly, who sued them for a couple million bucks.

Paul Cole was an American tourist visiting London with his wife. While she was inside a museum, he stepped outside to have a cigarette. He wasn’t paying much attention to the four young men who were walking across the street down the block and having their picture taken. A year later, he saw the cover of the Beatles’ Abbey Road album and realized he was on it.

Nitpick: this mention of Jesus was almost certainly added to the text by another author, much later on.

The all-time bestest trivia question, ever; what was his name?

Vinko Bogataj.

I think a very similar story to that of the young Afghan girl is the story of Birhan Woldu, the young Ethiopian girl who was the “face” of famine in Ethiopia. She was prominently featured in Live Aid video after she had been photographed by the team with Brian Stewart, a Canadian journalist with CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). For an overview of the story, and a picture from Birhan from that time see here from the CBC website.

It’s rather an interesting story. Since the pictures were taken in 1984, Brian Stewart quietly stayed in contact with the Woldu family. Until this past year, on the twentieth anniversary of the famine, there was no public element to that contact. However, Ms. Woldu was pulled into the spotlight on the twentieth anniversary. I saw a documentary about her on CBC where she spoke with Brian Stewart. She is now very well aware of the fame that became attached to her image. She struck me as quite a remarkable young woman.

Not much of a specific question to be answered here.

Let’s continue this in MPSIMS.

samclem GQ moderator

Charles Lindbergh arrived in Paris with a letter of introduction and a pocket full of traveler’s checks. He did not need them.

Not exactly.

Some extant versions seem interpolated. However, the Shlomo Pines’ translation, quoted by J. D. Crossan just just states Jesus was crucified by Pilate, and claimed he rose from the dead. All this indicated was some folks thought Jesus was the Messiah, and did perform miracles. Josephus never claims this was certainly true. A later Xtian editor wouldn’t alter the text with something that indicated some just thought Jesus rose from the dead.

She still gets residuals. I have read a couple of articles about her.

Rula Lenska

no,no,no – that’s the opposite case.
She was famous, and she was the only person who knew it.

IIRC, Vincent VanGough sold only 1 or 2 paintings in his life and died believing he was a total failure (commercially anyway).

Oddly enough, Larry Charles spoke about this in one of the MAS*H, or perhaps in the biography of the show on A&E. He said he went and caught up with all the ladies who portrayed nurses running toward the camera in the opening credits.

Some went on to other acting, but most were married and had children. The ladies looked at it as a point of pride that their image was used on TV for so many years.

That’s odd; around the time they started using the shot of the motorcycle sliding into the wall, I remember they went to the guy’s home town and he was bemused that they were still using it.

Maybe that’s why they stopped…

Nuts! I wanted to be the first to mention Lindbergh.

This of course doesn’t count as real fame, but - a few years ago, I was waiting for the Lexington line 6 train at the 77th Street stop. As the train pulled into the station, I noticed that there was a glaring, blinding light coming from the front window of the train. “What the hell was THAT?” I thought momentarily, but quickly forgot about it. A few days later, NY1 (the local news in NYC channel) did a story about congestion on the subway lines and - THERE’S A SHOT OF ME WAITING FOR THE TRAIN! OMG! But dammit all, nobody is ever around but me whenever I see it. I never get the joy of pointing to it and saying “That’s me!”
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but…who is the ‘Star Wars kid’?

CalMeacham on Rula Lenska = Whooshed! :smiley:

Please forgive me!

I’m not whooshed – I had to say it!

There’s actually a picture of her with her baby son Thomas in a recent Newsweek. She has scars all over her shoulder and upper arm.

All you ever wanted to know about the Star Wars kid, and then some.