Perfect scenes in movies/TV shows/plays

OK, I’m going to have to turn in my Man Card for this one, but:

Joan and Adam’s first kiss, during the science fair on Joan of Arcadia (“Jump”). Her brother’s rail gun experiment had just launched an engine block through an aquarium, knocking over a paper-mache dinosaur, spilling a pile of feathers into a fan, and in the resulting snowstorm (and chaos) the camera circles around the young couple laughing and sharing their first kiss.

Absolutely perfect in every way.

The scene can be watched here. The sequence starts at 3:30 or thereabouts.

Funny, I think that’s one of the less perfect scenes in a movie brimming with perfect scenes:

• The two girls on coke was so real and true that my skin was crawling with coke memories.

• Dirk and Reed, the first time they met, talking about their workouts and generally being males trying to outdo each other.

and the pinnacle of perfect scenes:

Scotty J. finally giving in to his desire for Dirk, then despising himself afterward “I’m an idiot! an IDIOT!”

Really? You think that’s way in front of so many similar scenes?

Are you sure you actually have a man card to turn in? :dubious:
:smiley: :wink:

The battle at the wedding in the Chuck season 2 finale, intercut with Jeffster singing.

Fascinating scene - I can figure out why they are on opposite sides, but why are they tangoing together? And do they both end up dead?

Night of the Hunter: Night scene: Murderous preacher Harry Powell is camped outside the farmhouse of Rachel Cooper, where the objects of his pursuit, John and Pearl Harper, are taking refuge. Cooper is sitting up in her kitchen, in a rocking chair holding a shotgun, watching Powell sitting on a hilltop out the window. He is singing a hymn in his baritone: “Leaning . . . leaning . . . leaning on the arm . . . leaning . . . leaning . . . leaning on the everlasting arm . . .” And suddenly Cooper joins in and harmonizes with the alto part: “Lean on Jesus, lean on Jesus . . .” A true cinematic moment of Zen.

The fistfight scene in They Live: The two leads (portrayed by actors who are also pro-wrestlers) fight on, and on, and on, and on, and some more, just because one is trying to persuade the other to put on a pair of special sunglasses so he can see the aliens. A perfect thing of its kind.

The scene in Blue Velvet where the pimp Ben lip-syncs “In Dreams” by Roy Orbison. “A candy-colored clown they call the Sandman / Tiptoes to my room every night . . .”

The Last of the Mohicans–the end for Uncas and Alice. Brilliant acting by all.

I’m too delirious with lust for Day-Lewis and fascination that he and the female lead whose name escapes me could be that jaw-droppingly gorgeous. They are like gods.

Chloe’s death scene in third-to-last episode of last summer’s Harper’s Island: Just after her boyfriend has been stabbed and thrown to his death defending her, the crazy killer has her cornered on a bridge that’s gated behind her. She can’t climb over the gate, and there’s water and rocks below. Rather than let him get her too, she climbs over the side of the bridge, says “you can’t have me” and lets go.

One of the most moving death scenes ever.

Here’s the scene

And that goddess female lead? Madeline Stowe

[Pepe LePew]Les pant, les pant[/PLP}

I was just saying in the thread on the latest, shitties Indiana Jones movie how magical the Map Room scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark is. It’s amazing because Indy is just as enchanted as we are - there’s this incredible feeling that we’re all on the brink of something awesome in the literal sense - numinous, dangerous, and wonderful.

Almost too short to be a “scene” proper, but Elisabeta’s death plunge in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

After that, I’d also say…T-Bird’s Death in The Crow. David Patrick Kelly just nails the performance going from a cool, unflappable, professional being consumed by utter terror. Made especially eerie by the fact that, when they filmed this scene, Brandon Lee had already died.

As Coen brothers’ offerings go, The Hudsucker Proxy ranks deservedly in the middle. It just doesn’t sustain greatness from beginning to end. Yet it has one scene that individually ranks as high as any of them. (And parenthetically we could start a thread with just great scenes from the brothers Coen alone.)

The development and release of the hula hoop montage is absolutely brilliant and as a mini-story in and of itself, is a more satisfying watch than most full feature-length films. Alas, including the Hudsucker Proxy itself.

Changing gears, the silent, life-story opener from Up is worth the price of admission / rental alone.

Oh, I hate to give out spoilers. :wink:
They tangoed for a variety of reasons–they were old school chums saying a rather decadent hello to each other.
The movie is based on the very true memoirs of one of the dancers, so that let’s you know that it least one of them does survive.

Defniitely one of my favorites.

And for all intents and purposes could be describing the scene from Mohicans.

The final scene in The Maltese Falcon where Bogart explains the scheme to the police and sends Brigid to prison, promising that if they didn’t send her to the hanging galley for Archer’s murder he’d be waiting for her. (“That means if you’re a good girl, you’ll be out in 20 years. I’ll be waiting for you. If they hang you, I’ll always remember you.”)

The final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, in which, after being assured that “Top men are working on it…top…men,” the Ark is being shown crated and stored in a giant warehouse full of other anonymous crates (both calling back to Citizen Kane and indicating the irrelevancy of the Ark).

The scene in Rear Window in which Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelley are talking about their relationship by commenting on about the neighbors across the back gardens.

The penultimate scene in the Season 1 finale of Mad Men (“The Wheel”) in which Don Draper makes his pitch for the new Kodiak slide projector. “This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards…it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It’s not called the wheel, it’s called the carousel.” It is nearly Shakespearean in its delivery and impact, and serves as an apt finish to the entire season.

Stranger

My exact reaction.